You do not have to be a herbivore to enjoy these Vegan Studded Peppers I promise!
There will come a day where I will cross over to the dark side, officially. The dark side that I am referring to is being a vegetarian. The lifestyle is flirting with me and I would be lying to you if I told you that I didn’t get a little giddy from time to time. The truth is the vegetarian lifestyle has been making its moves on me for a few years now. I just don’t know if I am ready to be monogamous yet. Here is the funny thing, I am really starting to not like meat! Red meat in particular. Crazy right? When I look at it in its package I get grossed out and immediately think, “I don’t know where you been, so why do I want you in my body?” Just a couple of weeks ago my boyfriend and I were out eating breakfast and eating eggs made me nauseous. I looked at them and it grossed me out. My boyfriend thinks I just need to submit to the vegetarian lifestyle and get it over with, but I am scared that I will run out of recipes that I will actually like. I don’t want to get bored. But how can you get bored when you eat these for three days straight?!
I had some bell peppers that I needed to hurry up and use and I immediately thought of making stuffed bell peppers. So, I looked around my kitchen. inside my refrigerator, and in my cupboards and I found some ingredients that I thought would work really well together. Such a healthy dish! The great thing about the Vegan Stuffed Peppers is that when you put these in the oven and the pepper begins to cook it releases its flavor in the rest of the filling making it super delicious and flavorful. I literally ate these for three days straight and did not complain. I know that I have not fully committed to the “meatless” lifestyle, but it has my attention and I am flirting back ;-).
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 12 oz. meatless beef crumbles
- 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 c. brown rice, cooked
- 1 c. tomatoes, diced
- 1 c. onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1.25 oz. packet taco seasoning
- 3 large bell pepper
- Diya cheddar cheese, for sprinkling
- Frito Corn Chips for topping
- garnish: guacamole or salsa
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large saute pan, drizzle the olive oil and allow to warm on medium heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for 5 minutes, until the onions become transluscent.
- Add the meatless crumbles, black beans and cook for 7 minutes. Stir to make sure all ingredients are mixed well. Add the minced garlic and simmer for 3 minutes. Now add the brown rice and packet of taco seasoning and stir once more and allow to simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
- Make sure you buy peppers that can sit straight on their bottoms. Cut the tops off the peppers and scrape out the seeds and extra skin; run the pepper with olive oil; and stuff the pepper with the brown rice stuffing to your liking. Top off each bell pepper with a sprinkle of Diya cheese and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Once finished sprinkle some crushed corn chips an top off with guacamole or salsa if you would like.