Make Cranberry Orange Quick Bread and give them away as gifts this holiday season.
Remember the story that I told you yesterday about how my mom use to make holiday treats and candies every year? Well, quick bread was something that my mom would make all year round for special occasions and always gave them as gifts. In fact, the last time I remember my mom making quick bread was about four years ago when I took a missionary trip to South Africa. I had to raise most of the money through fundraising and one of my good friends and I decided to have a bake sale to raise money. Thanks to our baking efforts and my mom making some quick breads for us, we were able to raise about $140 total (something like that).
Because I wasn’t sure how much to bake my mom chipped in and baked some good on her own and she really hooked us up. She made cookies, chocolate covered yummies, Rice Krispie treats, and quick breads. A big grocery bag of stuff. I had to give some of the stuff away to co-workers and family members to get rid of it all. So as I was making this bread, I was reminded of my mom and her never-ending season of making quick breads for gifts.
Here are reasons why quick breads are perfect for holiday gift giving:
– They are easy and fast to make.
– People can eat them during any time of day.
– They smell great.
– You can make a basket full of different bread and fill the basket with homemade jams and butters and it would be better than any store-bought gift.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted and cool
- 6 oz. fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt). In a separate bowl, mix together the orange juice, oil, and large egg. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Next, add the orange zest, butter, and stir until well mixed. Fold in the cranberries and dried cranberries.
- Spray three 18.6 oz bread loaves with baking spray. Spoon some of the batter in each loaf pan about ⅓ full. Spread evenly and bake for about 28-30 minutes until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Allow to cool completely. Once cooled wrap in preferred holiday wrapping paper or treat bag.