Mozzarella Stuffed Tater Tot Balls makes me want to be a kid again!
These Mozzarella Stuffed Tater Tot Balls are Stupid Good Yo!
We all have our thing that we still enjoy that makes us or reminds us of being a kid again! For some its Grilled Cheese Sandwiches; for others its Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches; but for me its Tater Tots. I don’t know why Tater Tots are so fun to eat but they just are for me! If I go out to eat and order something with French Fries but they have Tater Tots, please believe me I am ordering the Tater Tots! They just make so incredibly happy it is ridiculous. One of my favorite childhood meals was Sloppy Joes (or Poop according to this kid), Applesauce, and Tater Tots. Now think about how young I must’ve been if I remember eating Applesauce as a side dish for a meal. Yea, pretty young. That is how great that meal was for me. But now I am all grown up and I am feeling Tater Tots in a whole new way. Kind of like in a Mozzarella Stuffed Tater Tot Balls kind of way.
Okay class, what is one of my rituals I look forward to every month? Okay, I’ll remind you. I look forward to sitting down for countless hours once a month and go through all of my food magazines with a nice cup of Matcha Green Tea. If I don’t do anything else for myself within a month, I will sit down and go through my food magazines! It brings my life joy. I came across this divine invention by looking through, my most favorite food magazine, The Food Network. The Food Network did an entire segment on different recipes utilizing. I probably will try them all but these Mozzarella Stuffed Tater Tot Balls, aka Tater Tot Arancini, was the first recipe that grabbed my attention. Sorry Food Network, I had to simplify the title for the majority the world population.
What I love the most about these Mozzarella Stuffed Tater Tot Balls is that you can use any cheese you want and any spices you want. I followed the recipe to the letter. The only thing I did different was added some of my favorite spiced. I add some garlic powder and dried chopped onions. I used the dried chopped onions because I knew the flavor was going to come along with all the other ingredients. No you don’t bite into pieces of died chopped onion but it does give some amazing flavor. The best part of these Mozzarella Stuffed Tater Tot Balls is the first bite. They are nice, crunchy, and cheesy! You can use Marinara Sauce as a dipping sauce but I used warm Pizza Sauce. These are the perfect appetizer for any party and they are super easy to make! Let me know what you think.
Recipe adapted from The Food Network Magazine
- 1 lb. (about 3 cups) Tater Tots
- 1 egg
- ½ c. flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. dried chopped onion
- 12 mini mozzarella balls
- ⅓ c. breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp. salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- Put the Tater Tots in a microwave-safe bowl for 2-4 minutes or until slightly thawed. Let the Tater Tots cool and mash with your hands. Stir in the egg, flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chopped onion.
- Make sure your hands are damp and use a large cookie scoop and take a heaping spoonful of the Tater Tot mixture and roll into a ball. Make an indentation in the middle of the ball and place a mozzarella ball in the middle and roll the Tater Tot ball around the cheese ball. Make sure your hands are damp throughout this process as it will be easier to do this.
- Pour the veggie oil in a deep fryer on 350 Degrees. Place the breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Once the oil is ready, roll each ball in the breadcrumbs and carefully place in the oil and fry for about 6 minutes until golden brown. Turn to a plate lined with paper towel. Serve with warm marinara sauce or pizza sauce and serve!