Pineapple Tequila Sticky Chicken Wings…what more can I say?
I have had my shared experiences with Tequila and they have never ended well. I’ve had Tequila in Mexico; I’ve had Tequila at a party once; and I’ve had Tequila on my 29th birthday last year. Yea, pretty much, Tequila isn’t my friend. Oh! Only in Margaritas. I like Tequila in Margaritas. Especially frozen margaritas with salt around the rim. Too bad they’re bad for you. Otherwise, I would have a margarita everyday. I mean it. Everyday! Ok. Let me get back on track here. Tequila. I think I’m finished talking about it. So let me get started talking about these chicken wings.
MMM…MMMM.MMMMM.MMMM!!!!!! That is all I can say.
You know I love “man food” right? RIGHT?! Well any man or woman will love these wings. They are perfect and are just in time for the Super Bowl too! Yes there is a little tequila to give enhance the flavor but it’s hardly enough for someone to get a buzz from them. As annoying as sticky foods are, I love sticky them. In fact, the stickier and the messier the better. Wouldn’t you agree? If you agree, then you will love these wings. You will love them so much that you they will make you fall in love with tequila. Go ahead and make them. You will see what I mean. Trust me :-)! I love me some chicken wings!
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- ½ cups Onion, Chopped
- ½ cups Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
- ½ cups Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- ⅔ cups Water
- 1½ cup Pineapple Juice
- ¼ cups Teryaki Sauce
- 1-⅓ cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- ¾ cups Crushed Pineapple
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Red Crushed Pepper Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Tequila (anejo)
- 2½ tbsp. cornstarch
- 1½ tbsp. water
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Seasoned Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 3 whole Eggs
- Salt And Pepper
- 8 whole Chicken Wings
- Chives, For Garnish (optional)
- 1. In a medium-sized pot, warm the olive oil on low to medium heat and begin to saute the garlic, onion, green and red bell pepper for 5-7 minutes. Stir. Add the water, pineapple juice, teryaki sauce, brown sugar, crushed pineapple, soy sauce, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes. Simmer on medium high heat for 15 minutes. Next, add the cornstarch and water into a small ramekin. Stir until cornstarch is dissolved and pour into sauce. The sauce will begin to thicken and allow to simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Add the tequila and remove from heat until ready to use.
- Preheat a deep fryer to 350ºF.
- 2. Take a medium-sized bowl and add flour, pepper, seasoned salt, onion and garlic powder and whisk together. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- One at a time, take a chicken wing and lightly cover in the egg wash on both sides. Then take the chicken wing and lightly toss in the flour and immediately place in the hot deep fryer for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Once the chicken is cooked, place on a plate lined with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Dip the chicken in the sauce and turn to dry rack. Make sure that it is evenly coated. Repeat this procedure for all chicken wings and pour the excess sauce over the wings.
- Garnish with chives if desired.