These Braised Short Ribs with White Cheddar Mashed Potatoes is a delicious hearty meal that is made to comfort the soul. These short ribs have tons of flavor and fall right off the bone.
I have always wanted to try short ribs. Always! But I always had a hard time justifying the price of that particular cut of beef. However, I decided to invite some family friends over for dinner and I wanted to make somewhat of an impression so I went ahead and created a dish with short ribs. I never made short ribs before or cooked with it so I wasn’t sure how tough or meaty they were. Needless to say, I was taking a risk. I’ve often seen short ribs used in stews and such so I decided to do the same thing but my way, of course.
At first, I was a bit nervous when I took them out of the package because they seemed very tough and hard. However, I noticed they had a nice amount of fat around them so I didn’t worry too much because I knew I was going to get good flavor from them. So, I seared them, flavored them with chicken broth and red wine and other goodies, put them in the oven for two and a half hours untouched, and when I took them out and tasted a piece I danced like James Brown in the middle of my kitchen floor.
I GOT FEELING//BABY BABY I GOT A FEELING!!!
My fiance just stared at me like I lost my mind, but later he understood why I had so much excitement. I took the bones out and added some fresh carrots (which I grew from my very own garden thank you very much) and served over some cheesy mashed potatoes and it was the best comfort food meal ever! My guests loved these Braised Short Ribs and really didn’t want the meal to end. Who could have blamed them?!
Braised Short Ribs with White Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
- Total Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
These Braised Short Ribs are delicious and will fall right off the bone. Serve them over White Cheddar Mashed Potatoes and enjoy!
- 3 lbs. beef short ribs
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. red wine
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 1 can tomato paste
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 5 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp. red crushed pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 4 large Russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 c. white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 c. half and half
- 4 tbsp. butter, softened
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees: Liberally season all the short ribs with salt and pepper. In a large skillet pan, drizzle with olive oil on medium high heat. Dredge the short ribs in the flour and sear on the meaty side for 2 minutes until slightly brown. Once finished, place the short ribs into a large oven roaster pan with the meaty party facing down and the boney side facing toward you. Repeat until all short ribs are complete.
- In a large bowl, pour in the chicken broth, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and liquid smoke and whisk all ingredients. Pour in the roasting Pan. If there isn’t enough liquid add more chicken stock until the short ribs are slightly covered with the liquid. Add the beef bouillon, garlic cloves, onions, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves; sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in oven with lid for 2 1/2 hours. Once you have reached 2 1/2 hours, add the carrots to the pot and cover again with lid for another 45 minutes. Once completely cooked remove from oven and allow to sit for 15 minutes before removing the bone. Cover with aluminum foil until ready to serve.
- For mashed potatoes: In a large pot fill with water and add the potatoes. Bring to a slight boil on medium high heat and allow to boil for 25 or 30 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. Drain water and return the potatoes to the pot. Use a potato masher and mash the potatoes, add the butter and half and half, stir until smooth and creamy. Now add the white cheddar cheese and stir into the potatoes so the cheese can melt. Serve the short ribs over the mashed potatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
Keywords: short ribs, braised short ribs, braised short ribs recipe, easy braised short ribs, comfort food recipe, recipe for braised short ribs
Leave a Reply