Salisbury Steak is one of my favorite comforting dishes from my childhood. The steaks are seasoned to perfection and smothered in a gravy that is perfect for covering mashed potatoes.
Salisbury steaks smothered in gravy is absolutely one of my favorite childhood dishes that I looked forward to growing up. We would eat our steaks with mashed potatoes and peas, like most people. Now that I am older I still eat this dish the same way I did when I was a kid. It’s best to leave classic dishes that way, classic.
What is Salisbury Steak?
For the longest time, I thought Salisbury Steak was some sort of specialty meat. When I got older I was surprised to learn that Salisbury Steak is made from ground beef! It’s so obvious! It’s the seasonings and the gravy that makes this dish more than a hamburger in gravy, but a comfort meal that will go great over mashed potatoes or rice.
Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
A classic comfort food dish is Salisbury Steak and gravy. Smothered in gravy and onions served over mashed potatoes, this recipe will become a favorite at the dinner table.
- 3 lb. ground beef
- ½ c. bread crumbs
- 1 packet of onion soup mix
- ½ tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 large Yellow Onion, sliced into whole rings
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ c flour
- 4 c. beef broth
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ tsp. Onion powder
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- Turn the ground beef into a large mixing bowl. Add in the bread crumbs, onion soup mix, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce and mix using your hands.
- Form the ground beef into patties and set aside.
- Heat a large shallow pan on medium-high heat and add the beef patties to the pan. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes. The patties should develop a nice sear on each side. As they finish cooking, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Leaving the fat drippings from the hamburger in the pan, reduce the heat to medium heat. Add the sliced onion rings to the and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Once the onions have cooked down, sprinkle with flour.
- Stir the flour into the onion and remaining fat drippings in the pan. It will look lumpy and dry. Slowly pour in the beef broth and whisk at the same time whisking the clumps out of the gravy. The gravy will become smooth.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, onion and garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper to taste and whisk. Return the patties to the pan with the gravy. Spoon the gravy over the patties and cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 15 minutes and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: American
Keywords: salisbury steak, 30 minute salisbury steak, quick and easy salisbury steak, salisbury steak and gravy, salisbury steak and onions
Leave a Reply