- 1 lb. Box Devil’s Food Cake
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 c. melted chocolate (from melted semi sweet chocolate chips)
- 1 c. water ( as indictated on the back of the cake box)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2– 14 oz. cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 3/4 c. sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 c. pecan pieces
- 1 1/2 tbsp. whiskey
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees and spray a 9X13 rectangular baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, eggs, water, and melted chocolate until smooth. Pour into the baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes (or as indicated on the box). Once finished, remove from oven and set aside.
- For icing: Combine butter, both cans of condensed milk, and salt over a double boiler and begin to whisk while the icing is getting warm. Stir for 5 minutes. Add the egg yolks one at a time being sure that the eggs do not scramble. Cook over double boiler for 15-20 minutes until thickened. Stir frequently.
- Stir in the coconut and pecans once thickened, remove from double boiler, add the whiskey, and allow the icing to set for 20 minutes or longer. Poke 12 holes in the cooled cake and pour the icing over the cake. Leave in the refrigerator until ready to serve.