When you can’t get to Bonefish Grill, you can make these Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos for a quick and easy fix! These crunchy fried shrimp are covered with a sweet and spicy sauce that will keep you craving!
I must warn you, these Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos are extremely addicting and a definite crow pleaser.
Okay, I must admit something to you all…
Ugh, I’m ashamed to admit this to you guys…
But, I never had “Bang Bang Shrimp” from Bonefish Grill.
I KNOW! I KNOW!
How can I make a recipe based off the originator of Bang Bang Shrimp, if I never actually had Bang Bang Shrimp from Bonefish Grill?! Yes, it is a pickle, I’d agree. However, I think I can redeem myself by saying, I never had Bang Bang Shrimp from Bonefish Grill, but I did have it at a sports bar somewhere and I was sold! I knew when I had it for the first time some years ago, I was going to have to try it again. Luckily, I figure out how to make it at at home and I’m sharing the recipe with you guys.
I made these Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos twice and the taco came out great both times. The first time I made these tacos, I wasn’t a fan of using a corn tortilla. I do like corn tortillas, but I didn’t care the entire taco being in that particular shell. It is very important to properly build a taco from the ground up where the first bite is simply magical.
How to build the perfect taco
Building the perfect taco is really not that complicated. You have to start with a base and typically those options are a soft taco tortilla, hard taco shell, corn tortilla shell, or, in some cases, lettuce leaves. Now, I do not have credentials to tell you which shell you should choose for certain tacos. However, I will say it really depends on your audience in my opinion. Whatever you do, just be sure to always warm up the shells before serving. For this recipe, I used Mission Soft Tortilla Street Taco shells.
Next, you cook your protein. In the case of these Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos, I fried the shrimp in some cornstarch but you can also fry the shrimp in bread crumbs. Be sure your protein is flavored very well. Then, you choose a bed for your protein. When I say “bed” I mean lettuce or cabbage. Be sure to dress your bed in a coating for more flavor. Typically an acidic coating will help balance the fat in the protein and the other ingredients you may add.
Finally, be sure to come up with a delicious sauce for your tacos. The more flavor the better! For these Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos, I tossed some cabbage with a little mayo, honey, lime juice, lime zest, and cilantro. So my tacos had all of the elements of what it takes to have an amazing taco.
These Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos are tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce made with mayo, Siracha, and chili sauce. That’s it! You know me. Gotta keep it simple. If you follow this recipe, you won’t be disappointed. Also feel free to try my Crispy Frish Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce too!
- 1 lb. Large Raw Shrimp (peeled, deveined, and tail off)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- ½ c. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. Flour
- Canola oil for frying
- 16 oz. Shredded Cabbage
- 2 tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Honey
- 1 tbsp. mayo
- ½ Lime zest
- ½ lime
- ½ c. mayo
- ¼ c. sweet chili sauce
- ½ tbsp. Siracha ( add more if you desire for more heat)
- 6-8 Street Taco size soft tortillas
- Add oil to add tp deep fryer and heat to 350 degrees.
- Add the shrimp to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Combine the flour and cornstarch.
- Dredge the shrimp through the cornstarch mixture, shake off excess, and place in hot oil and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from oil with slotted spoon and place on cooling rack lined with paper towel.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, honey, mayo, cilantro, and lime zest. Toss together. Add the lime juice and toss. Add a pinch of salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the mayo, sweet chili sauce, and siracha. Mix together and once the shrimp has cooked and cooled, slightly, toss the shrimp in sauce or drizzle on top of taco.
- Warm the tortillas in microwave for 20 seconds. Layer the tacos as desired and top off with cilantro leaves and queso crumbled cheese, if desired.