If you love Buffalo Chicken Wings, you can now have them in this Buffalo Chicken Soup recipe!
This Buffalo Chicken Soup is perfect for the cold weather and those cold football games!
Football season is a big deal in my house. My husband loves his NY Giants and football in general. Me, I just love the overall energy and atmosphere of football games. I LOVE tailgating, I LOVE the Super Bowl games and events, and I LOVE just having people over to watch the game. Now, I do not have a team. No I am not a Cincinnati Bengals fan (I probably will once Marvin Lewis is out of the picture. That is a different conversation), but I do find myself supporting random teams from time to time, just for the fun of it all. When we gather together as a family the biggest topics of conversation is who is going to win each division and what we are going to eat. We always have the typical football food such as Buffalo Chicken Wings, Burgers, Hot Dogs, and a few delicious sides. Now, we are going to add something new to the menu. Move over chili and hello Buffalo Chicken Soup.
So, I came up with this idea by sitting and having a casual conversation with my husband on a random Sunday before football season began. We were talking about our baby shower, which was tailgate themed, and the food we were going to give to our guests. Well somehow we started talking about Buffalo Chicken Wings, which is his favorite food, and I made the comment, “Babe you love chicken wings so much, I bet you would eat them as a soup”. It took about 10 seconds and we looked at each other and a recipe was born. My husband said “Babe, that sounds dope!”. Let me tell you, this recipe is “dope”!
This Buffalo Chicken Soup will keep your chili in good company. Not to mention it doesn’t really have a lot of ingredients! This is a quick and simple soup that anyone can enjoy. I do have a suggestion. If you decide to have a chlli and Buffalo Chicken Soup menu, have all of your toppings laid out for people to top on the soup of their choice, including crumbled blue cheese, and make a delicious corn bread. The Buffalo Chicken Soup may be a little spicy and has the same level of tang like Buffalo Chicken Wings. It would pair well with some warm and slightly sweet cornbread to level out all of those flavors. Whatever you decide to do just make sure you make this soup. You can cook it and put it the crockpot on warm until you are ready to serve. Enjoy your football!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 2 ½ c. chicken broth
- 2 c. whole milk
- 8 oz. Sharp Cheddar Cheese block, grated
- 12 oz. Buffalo Chicken sauce
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 ½ lb. Roasted Chicken, chopped
- Blue Cheese crumbles (optional)
- Celery, chopped (optional)
- In a large sauce pan, warm the olive oil on medium high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for 5-7 minutes until veggies are soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the 4 tbsp. butter and once melted, sprinkle in 4 tbsp. flour.
- Lower the heat to low to medium heat. Slowly add the chicken stock and stir at the same time to avoid large flour clumps. Add the 2 cups of milk and allow to simmer for, at least, 5 minutes so the broth will become thick. Next, add the cheese and Buffalo sauce and stir until cheese has melted. Finally, add the seasonings and the chopped chicken. Cover with lid and stir periodically until ready to serve. Top with blue cheese crumbles and diced celery if desired.