This Italian Meatball Burger is made with a ton of flavor, topped off with mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce and served on Garlic Texas Toast.
I love trying different types of burger recipes. I think burgers are single-handedly one of the best dishes you can recreate over and over and never get tired of them. That is probably why burgers are one of my favorite foods. I can’t get enough of them. In fact, I consider myself to be a burger expert and fearless taste tester. Yep, I don’t think there is a burger I won’t try. Wait…I’m lying. I’ve seen some recipes for beet, quinoa, and lentil burgers and as much as I respect the healthy alternatives, I think I speak for most burger lovers when I say…that’s just not right.
Creating this Italian Meatball Burger
When I created this burger I wanted the burger to say “I’m perfect for a lazy weekend meal and you need to eat me”. I didn’t want a burger on a regular bun. Ciabatta buns were considered, which would be a good alternative, but I thought to push the envelope just a bit more. That is why I decided to use Garlic Texas Toast. It adds more flavor to the burger and if you toast it just right you might get a little crispy crunch adding some texture.
Why all the meat? Using beef, lamb, and pork is the perfect Trifecta of meat that adds the perfect amount of flavor suitable for an awesome burger. I promise when you try this burger you will immediately send me a comment of how much you and your family love me. So let me go ahead and say…I love you too.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 lb. ground Italian Sausage
- 1 c. Parmesan Crumbs
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tbsp. dried basil leaves
- ½ tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 16 slices Garlic Texas Toast
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella
- 2 c. marinara sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, lamb, Italian sausage, and Parmesan cheese and using your hands mix together well. Now, add all seasonings, Italian seasoning, dried basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, liquid smoke, and Worcestershire sauce. Using your hands again, mix the seasonings well into the meat.
- Once the meat is prepared, take 4-6 oz of meat and mold into a patties and set aside. Heat a grill pan and brush with olive oil on medium heat. Place the patties onto the pan allow to sizzle and cook on each side for 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the marinara in a small sauce pan and allow to become warm on low heat and toast the Texas Toast by placing inside a medium skillet on low to medium heat toasting on each side for 2-3 minutes. Once toasted remove from skillet.
- Once the burgers are flipped on their last side and is just about done, place a single slice of fresh mozzarella cheese on top of the burgers and cover the skillet with a large plate or another skillet of the same size creating a dome. Keep covered for about 2-3 minutes until cheese has melted. Remove burgers from skillet and place on top of one piece of Texas Toast, pour some of the marinara sauce on top of the burgers, and finally place the other piece of Texas Toast on top and serve.