“Let’s get the mood right/ Turn on your heart light/ Put on that old red dress/ Baby let’s cruise.” Do you know the song to these lyrics? No? Click HERE and allow the song to play while you continue to read this blog entry. Go ahead, I’ll wait. Do you have the music playing? Good.
Between that song by Johnny Gill and these Strawberry Champagne Popsicles, someone is going to get very lucky this Valentines Day.
I am here to make sure that this Valentines Day is one special day for you and your boo. You hear that song that’s playing? That is to help you get in the Valentines Day spirit. You have to start now to get some good ideas brewing if you’re going to have a special V-Day. I promise you, if you make these you will be appreciated.
I have never really celebrated Valentines Day. In fact, I spent most of my life being on the apposite side of love on that specific holiday. Don’t even get me started on “Sweetest Day”. But as I listen to the smooth baritone of Johnny Gill, I cant help but to think how this year will be different.
Side Note: Maybe I will make these Strawberry Champagne Popsicles for myself?
Why would it be different you’re wondering? I’m in a new relationship silly and this is our first Valentines Day as a couple. I must admit I’m a bit nervous. I spent so many years being cynical about this love annoying holiday that I will barely graze the surface with the normal level of excitement that you are supposed to feel on this day (SANG IT JOHNNY!!!). I always fantasized about many romantic events that I would like to take place but now, they can possibly happen and yes that freaks me out a bit! But I guess to take the edge off, these Popsicles will do.
I might as well call these “Baby Making Popsicles”. That is what I thought when I tried them. People are going to make these for their loved ones and next thing you know a new “Baby Boomer” generation will emerge. I was thinking of some ideas that I could come up with for Valentines Day and without any inspiration, this idea came out of thin air. I am so glad that it did. Now, if you are seriously thinking about making these for “V-Day” give them as an “after dessert”. Ya know? A night-cap. Now if alcohol is prohibited you can use sparkling cider and that is fine. And if strawberries aren’t your thing, I recommend using mangoes or raspberries. I think I will save those two fruits for the summer and spring time. Also, you can make these for bridal showers or a “A Girls Night Out”. Either way, it will put you in the spirit of a good time (YOU BETTER BLOW JOHNNY. BOBBY BROWN WHO?).
- • ¼ cups Water
- • ¼ cups Sugar
- • 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- • 1 pound Fresh Strawberries
- • 1 cup Sparkling Champagne
- In a small sauce pot, add the water, sugar, and lemon juice and bring to a slight boil. Boil for 5 minutes and until sugar dissolves. Set aside and let cool.
- Cut the green tops off the strawberries and slice them in half. Using a food processor, slightly puree the strawberries (I still wanted some chunks of strawberries in mine). Turn the strawberries to a bowl and combine with the simple syrup (which is the water and sugar liquid) and sparkling champagne. Slightly stir until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture in the Popsicle molds and freeze for at least 6 hours, best if overnight.