On any given weeknight, you are going to need a quick and easy recipe to make that the whole family can love. This recipe for Beef with Snow Peas is not only fast and easy but it nutritious and has amazing flavor from a sweet and tangy sauce.
Do you want to know something funny? When I was a kid, I hated peas. I mean, what kid didn’t though, right? But I really hated peas. My mom would say, “ You’re not moving from that table until you eat all of your peas!” So, I would swallow them whole one by one. It took forever, but my mom noticed what I was doing and would get so irritated that she would make me get up from the table anyway. But, if she would’ve fed me snow peas in a dish like this, perhaps I wouldn’t have been so reluctant.
What are Snow Peas?
Snow peas are a flat podded pea that is typically used in stir fry dishes. They are flat and have a mild pea flavor. So if you are worried about a weird and yucky pea or green vegetable-like taste in this dish, don’t worry. But you will be please to know about some of the nutritional benefits of snow peas. Snow peas have been linked to having the following health benefits:
- Help reduce blood cholesterol
- Good source of folic acid and fiber
- Prevent Stomach Cancer
- Promote Heart Health
Along with the snow peas in this recipe, it is also loaded with protein from the beef. Depending on your pockets, you can use almost any cut of beef, but in this recipe, I used shaved ribeye steak. You can ask your butcher to cut your steak into thin slices or you can try a technique where you slightly freeze the ribeye and then cut it into thin slices when it is in the middle of frozen and thawed. This makes it easier to cut the steak. However, you can also use sliced flank steak or cubed beef that is used for beef stew, for instance.
The sauce in this recipe is also made of a few simple ingredients. You are going to combine some soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and honey. All you have to do is whisk the ingredients together and add the soy sauce mixture to the beef once it is cooked and it will thicken into a delicious stir fry sauce.
To make this a complete meal, serve over rice (white or brown) or lo mein noodles. Top off with chopped green scallion and sesame seeds.
Commonly Asked Questions
In this recipe, you can use brown or white rice but you can also use jasmine or basmati rice. I think jasmine rice would be a good choice for this recipe.
You can. You can freeze it whole but you can also make this into your very own meal kit by doing the prep work for this meal and sealing it into plastic bags so when you’re ready to cook this meal, you can just take it out of the fridge and get the cooking!
Beef with Snow Peas
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Diet: Low Fat
This Beef with Snow Peas dinner recipe is perfect for weeknight dinner and takes 35 minutes to cook. Serve over a bed of soft and pillowy rice.
- 2 lb. Ribeye Steak, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into half crescents
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 oz. fresh snow peas (2 handfuls)
- 4 oz. canned mushrooms
- 1 c. soy sauce
- 5 tbsp. Light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Ginger paste or fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. Corn starch
- 1/4 tsp. Red crushed pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. Rice vinegar
- Using a large shallow heavy skillet, add the olive oil and heat to medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced onions to the pan and cook until translucent and softened for about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the snow peas to the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes. Peas will slightly wilt and softened. Set aside.
- Using a different heavy-duty large skillet, turn the heat on high and add the sliced ribeye. Cook until browned, about 7-10 minutes. If you find that the beef is generating excess moisture drain the liquid and continue to sear. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms, snow pea mixture, and stir into the beef meat mixture. In a separate small bowl, add the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and rice vinegar and mix. Take two teaspoons of water and add to the cornstarch in a small ramekin and stir until dissolved. Pour the cornstarch mixture in with the soy sauce mixture and mix. Pour the soy sauce in with the beef and stir. Cover with lid and reduce temperature to low to medium about 10-15 minutes. Stir periodically as the sauce will thicken.
- Serve the mover rice and garnish it with sesame seeds and chopped green onion.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: beef with snow peas recipe, asian beef with sugar peas, asian beef with snow peas, beef stir fry, mongolian beef and snow peas, beef with snow peas chinese recipe,
Leave a Reply