Make a change to your Taco Tuesday and try these Crispy Fish Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw. Coated in panko bread crumbs leaving a crunchy bite and topped with a deliciously zesty and cream Cilantro Lime Slaw.
One of my favorite places to eat downtown Cincinnati is Bakersfield. It is a trendy bar that sells tacos, tortas, and has the best guacamole that I have ever had. It is fairly inexpensive and a perfect place for a nightcap (probably because they stay open until 2 am). They have very unique tacos that will satisfy the hunger of any carnivore and even vegans! They have chicken, braised short ribs, pork, portabella, and roasted poblano tacos, and the list goes on. My favorite taco is their crispy fish tacos.
Man, let me tell you about this taco!
The fish is made with Mahi Mahi and fried crispy, topped with shredded cabbage, and a bunch of other stuff. It is very light and delicate and it isn’t overwhelmed with a bunch of cheese, sour cream, and taco sauce like most tacos. The flavors on their tacos are very harmonious and different. You learn to appreciate the cilantro, lime juice, and the vinegar in the cabbage (which makes the taco in my opinion). I can eat them all day.
Because I love Bakersfield’s fish tacos so much, I decided to create a knock off version of their taco. Now let me say, my taco is only a temporary quick fix but should not be used as a replacement for the crispy fish taco at Bakersfield. If you have never had Bakersfield after you eat these tacos you are going to want to make a trip downtown Cincinnati and try their tacos.
More about these Crispy Fish Tacos
I originally made these tacos back in 2013 with less experience in the kitchen than I do now. I wanted to revise this recipe because I felt that it needed to be revisited. Instead of making a cilantro lime sauce, I decided to make a cilantro-lime slaw as it was much easier to complement the taco and it had the sauce already mixed in. Make a lot of sense to me. What I love about these fish tacos is the crunch from the fish that is coated in panko bread crumbs. I mean, I can eat the pieces of fish by themselves if I wanted to. Just give me some tartar sauce and I’m a happy girl.
Crispy Fish Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
These Crispy Fish Tacos with Cilantro Coleslaw is a great taco to add to your Taco Tuesday table. Top the tacos off with cilantro slaw, crumbled cheese, and pickled onions.
- 2 1/2 c. mixed cabbage coleslaw mix
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. mayo
- 1/2 lime
- 2– 4 oz. Cod Fish filets
- 2 c. Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 whole Eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- Canola Oil, For Frying
- 6 whole small flour tortillas
- Crumbled Queso Cheese
- Place the shredded cabbage, chopped cilantro, mayo, and the juice of half a lime and stir together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a heavy-duty shallow pan and fill with oil halfway. Heat on medium-high heat to 350 Degrees.
- Cut the fish into strips and set aside. Add the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs into separate bowls. Whisk the eggs with water until whites and yolk have combined.
- Dredge the fish strips in the flour and shake the excess. Next, dip into the egg wash on both sides and shake off the excess egg wash. Finally, coat in bread crumbs and place in hot oil. Cook on both sides until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from oil and place it on a place lined in a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Repeat the process until all fish has been cooked.
- In the middle of the tortillas, add crispy fish, top with coleslaw mix, crumbled cheese, and pickled onions if desired, and serve!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Main Entree
Leave a Reply