You won’t believe how a bag of frozen shredded Hashbrowns can be transformed into these Mexican Crispy Hashbrown Haystacks! Top them with salsa, bacon, avocado, and sour cream.
I have never heard of Breakfast Haystacks until recently. Although I wish I could take complete credit for this remarkable recipe, I can’t. Because like you, I don’t have much to do these days while staying at home, I was browsing through some old food magazines and I came across a Tex Mex Haystacks Recipe provided by Taste of Home. Never heard of them, never had them, but by the look of the ingredients and the beautiful photo, I just had to try it out.
I immediately understood why they call these beauties “haystacks”. Don’t you? Well if you look at the hashbrown bottom you will see that it looks like a stack of hay! Get it?! The beauty of this recipe, like many of my recipes, is you can stack your haystacks with just about any topping you want. In the original recipe, the haystacks were topped with a fried egg, salsa, cilantro, and sour cream. I decided to go along with that flow but go one step further by adding bacon and avocado and if I had some black beans I would’ve added those too.
How to make these Hashbrown Haystacks
These Mexican Crispy Hashbrown Haystacks start with a crispy hashbrown bottom that is pan-fried with panko bread crumbs and cheese.
I mean, after that kind of beginning, I don’t really need to continue. But I will.
Then, I fried an egg to medium (still runny in the middle) where the yolk would just run out as soon as I cut through it. Once my egg is cooked, I just stacked that on top of the “haystack” and added some bacon bits, salsa, avocado, cilantro, and sour cream. I was in heaven! This is absolutely one of the best breakfast dishes I’ve had in a long time. What makes this even better is the ingredients needed for this recipe are pretty simple and common pantry staples! Even if you don’t have a bag of shredded hashbrowns laying around, you can shred a few potatoes and get the same reaction outcome.
- ⅔ c. sour cream
- 2 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
- 2 ½ tsp. Taco Seasoning
- 1 pkg. (3-1/2 cups) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- ½ c. panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ c. shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 3 tbsp. water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 5 tbsp. oil, divided
- 6 large eggs
- ½ c. salsa
- 1 c. bacon bits
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ lime
- In a small bowl, add sour cream, green onion, cilantro, and taco seasoning together and stir. Set aside.
- Cut open the avocado and remove the pit. Cut the inside of an avocado and remove it with a spoon discarding the external flesh. Place the cut avocado in a bowl and squeeze lime over the avocado. Season with a little salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add shredded hashbrowns, panko bread crumbs, cheese, water, and salt. Mix together to combine.
- Heat an electric griddle to 350 Degrees. Next, add 2 ½ tablespoons of oil and begin to add the shredded potatoes, ⅔ cup full, and flatten the hashbrowns while keeping the batch together. Continue to cook on each side until golden and crisp, about 5-7 minutes. Next, add oil if and as needed. Remove from heat.
- On the same griddle, heat the other 2 ½ tablespoons of oil, crack and fry the eggs on the griddle. Cook until whites are settled. Continue to cook to your desired outcome.
- Finally, Top each hashstack with an egg, sprinkle with bacon, salsa, avocado, and seasoned sour cream. Garnish with extra green onion and chopped green onion.