If you like creamy soups, but your tummy gets bothered by the dairy, try this Dairy Free Chicken Gnocchi Soup made with soft and pillowy gnocchi, juicy rotisserie chicken, and fresh veggies. This soup is a perfect comfort food soup and easy to make.
Welp, we are headed towards that season. You know what I’m talking about.
🥣Soups and Stews
Yes, Fall is upon us; nothing will be more satisfying on a cold and chilly day than a bowl of filling and warm soup. Let me change that; nothing will be more satisfying than a bowl of hearty, delicious, and flavorful chicken gnocchi soup. The best part of this soup is that it has no dairy! I don’t know about you, but that is always a perk to me, considering my intolerance to lactose.
Non Dairy Alternatives
In this recipe, I used Country Crock’s new Non-Dairy heavy cream. I came across this in the grocery store and figured this would be a good way to try it. Of course, I was a bit nervous regarding the flavor and the overall texture, but I am glad everything came out great! In case you don’t come across this cream, here is a list of dairy- substitutes you can use in its place:
- Soy Milk
- Full-fat Coconut Cream/ Milk
- Almond Milk
- Plant-Based Milk/ Cream Alternatives
Additional Ingredient Substitutes
Many of the ingredients in this recipe can be substituted or exchanged. For instance, if you are currently doing the Whole 30 diet regimen, you may want to consider glute-free gnocchi options such as cauliflower gnocchi. Also, along with the peas and carrots in this recipe, you can add a handful of fresh kale or spinach. You can omit the peas and carrots altogether and use spinach and kale.
Commonly Asked Questions
In a bowl of this recipe, there are about 772 calories.
Yes! I saved about half of the soup for a rainy day in these photos. I know there will be a time when I will not feel like cooking, so I have a delicious soup that needs to be warmed up and still taste fresh and homemade.
Yes! There are delicious plant-based meatless chicken alternatives that will still give this soup a good chicken flavor.
You can use about three thick chicken breasts cooked and chopped or 4-5 large bone-in chicken thighs.
If you like this Dairy Free Chicken Gnocchi Soup, you will like the following soup and stew recipes:
- Award-Winning Chilli Con Carne
- White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Steak and Potato Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
Dairy Free Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
This dairy-free chicken and gnocchi soup recipe are one of my favorite dishes. The addition of gnocchi makes this soup hearty yet light.
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 3/4 c. onion, chopped
- 3/4 c. bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 tbsp. Flour
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 2 c. heavy non-dairy cream (see notes)
- 1 lb. Gnocchi
- 1 1/4 c. peas and carrots, frozen
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 5 lb. Rotisserie Chicken, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. Onion powder
- 2 tsp. Chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dried thyme
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large dutch oven on medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Once the oil has heated, add the chopped onion and bell pepper. Cook until the onions and peppers are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter has melted, sprinkle the flour and stir. The veggies will begin to look clumpy.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and stir to remove large clumps of flour. Allow the soup base mixture to simmer for about 5-7 minutes. The soup will thicken. Add the chicken and stir.
- Add the peas, carrots, and seasonings (garlic powder, onion powder, chicken bouillon, dried thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper). Stir.
- Add the gnocchi to the soup. Add the cornstarch to a small ramekin, add about a tablespoon of the soup liquid to the ramekin, and stir to dissolve the cornstarch. Add to the soup and stir. Add Cover and let simmer for at least 30 minutes. Add the non-dairy cream and stir. Serve and top with freshly chopped parsley.
NOTE: Non-dairy milk options include coconut milk, Country Crock Non-Dairy Heavy Cream, Silk Dairy-Free Heavy Cream, and Plant-Based Heavy Cream.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken gnocchi recipe, copycat recipes, olive garden chicken gnocchi soups, olive garden copycat recipes, dairy free chicken and gnocchi soup, dairy free chicken soup
Leave a Reply