When it’s cold outside and you’re looking for something to make you feel warm and cozy, you’re going to need this Easy Grilled Cheese and Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe in your life.
You will never believe what I am about to tell you. I am just now, in my mid-thirties, starting to fall in love with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Creamy Tomato Soup. I KNOW! Where have I been all my life, right? Well if you’ve been following my blog for some time you have, more than likely, read a blog post where I discuss my mom’s, not-so-great, cooking growing up. My mom was an okay cook, but as we got older she could careless and had nothing left to prove about her cooking abilities.
But when I was younger, I remember my mom making me and my younger brother (when it was just the two of us) BURNT Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and gross canned tomato soup. Now, before I get reported to the Campbell’s Soup police, there is nothing wrong with that or any brands canned creamed tomato soup, but I do believe you have to add a little salt and pepper in there. My mom added nothing. Just warned up the soup.
How to make the BEST Grilled Cheese Sandwich
There are many ideas out there on different things you can do to turn your Grilled Cheese Sandwich into something memorable and to stand out amongst most. I’ve heard of adding mayonnaise to the bread for an extra crispness; also add at least 3 different cheese, and even use old stale bread. For me, I appreciate these suggestions but don’t really follow these rules, mostly.
Easy Grilled Cheese and Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 3 1x
Nothing will warm your soul like an Easy Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Creamy Tomato Soup. This soup has Parmesan Cheese and the sandwich is nice and crisp!
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- ½ c. red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 28 oz. Crushed Can Tomatoes
- 1 ¼ tsp. Sea salt
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- ½ tsp. Dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. Dried basil
- ½ tsp. Onion powder
- ½ tsp. Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. Smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 c. heavy cream
- ¼ c. water
- For Sandwiches
- 6 slices Sourdough Bread
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 8 oz. Sharp Cheddar, Grated
- To make soup: In a large saucepot heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and begin to cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the crushed tomatoes and seasonings, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic, and onion powder, and smoked paprika) and stir. Allow coming to steam. Next, add the cream, water, and grated parmesan cheese and stir.
- Using an immersion blender, mix the soup until creamy on low speed, about 5 minutes. Set heat on low until ready to serve.
- For the sandwiches: Spread about ½ tablespoon of butter on one side of two slices of sourdough bread making sure you cover from edge to edge. Using a large saute skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and allow to melt. Place one slice of bread in the skillet, butter side down; add about ⅓ cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top, and place the other slice of bread, butter side up, to the sandwich.
- Place a small heavy lid on top of the sandwich and cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes and flip to the other side. Each side should be golden brown and crisp. Slice the sandwiches and serve with a bowl of tomato soup.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Entree
Leave a Reply