I am not a vegan, but I sure do love these Vegan Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting!
If you have followed me for a while you know that I am not a vegan, but because I am lactose intolerant, I do make a few vegan based meals. I think it is a great lifestyle but it isn’t something I could 100% adopt for myself. I feel very comfortable making different vegan meal dishes. However, vegan based desserts have always been intimidating to me. Why? Because the ingredients for most of the vegan desserts are foreign and something that I, most likely, isn’t at my regular grocery store. I don’t like to buy ingredients that I may only use one time. Who does right? Well, these Vegan Cupcakes are as basic as they come and you probably have all the ingredients in your cabinets.
These Vegan Cupcakes were easy to make. I had a get together this past weekend and everyone loved them. They couldn’t taste the difference and were really surprised when I told them what the ingredients were. When it came to me making the frosting, I really hated the idea of using powdered sugar but I wanted to make something very basic and simple and I told myself that I will explore different options. To cut back on sugar I just iced a very thin layer of icing on each cupcake. Works for me. I don’t care too much for icing anyway. These cupcakes are easy, simple, and perfect.
Okay, that’s it!
Cupcake recipe adapted from Food.com
- 1 ¼ c. flour
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ c. pure raw cane sugar
- 1 c. soy milk
- ⅓ c. canola oil
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ c. organic non-hydrogenated shortening
- ½ c. vegan butter
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. soy milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Line a 12 tin muffin pan with cupcake liners
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk (flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pure can sugar).
- Now, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and using a hand held mixer mix all ingredients together until smooth. Pour about ⅓ cup of the batter into the cupcake tins and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to completely cool before applying the frosting.
- FOR THE FROSTING
- In a mixing bowl, blend together the shortening and the butter until well mixed. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Once you have added 2 cups of powdered sugar add the milk, salt, and the vanilla extract and blend until smooth. Frost the cupcakes as desired and sprinkle with sprinkles if you would like.