Okay, so I kind of went Vegan and cupcake crazy. Can you blame me?
A couple days ago, I shared with you Vegan Yellow Cupcakes that were amazing and a half. Today, I am sharing with you Vegan Chocolate Mayonnaise Cupcakes that are just as good. It is my mission in life to learn how to make classic dessert recipes that we all love and turn them into something delicious and healthier to eat. This requires a lot of mistakes in the kitchen; a fast loss of money because of the ingredients; and a lot of time researching different flours and sugars. This is why I am starting off with basic desserts and using my blogging friend, Chocolate Covered Katie, as a wonderful resource. Check out her blog if you haven’t already.
I took a risk making the ganache because I really didn’t know how the combination of vegan chocolate chips and soy milk were going to work with one another. I was worried the the chocolate would curdle or not melt as easily but I was shocked when I saw how it melted down like regular chocolate. Using the ganache as frosting was actually an accident. I took it off the heat to allow it to cool down and I needed to get dressed for a get together I was having later that day. When I came back, it was as smooth as frosting. So….I used it as frosting. Once I tasted the cupcake I was in love. Usually I don’t really care for chocolate cakes but these were pretty darn good. The cupcake was very moist and the ganache was sinful! I immediately called my fiance and told him that when we have children that I will be making them those cupcakes for them every time. It doesn’t have white flour and I didn’t use pre-processed white granulated sugar. Make no mistake there is sugar in the cupcakes but it is isn’t the “bad for you” kind.
If you are looking for a vegan chocolate cupcake recipe, I highly recommend making these. You will love them.
Cupcake recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
- ½ c. spelt flour
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder (not Dutch)
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ c. xylitol or the sugar of your choice (I used Stevia Baking Blend)
- ¼ c. Vegenaise
- 1½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ c. plus 1 tbsp. water
- VEGAN CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 1½ c. vegan chocolate chips
- ½ c. soy
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees and line a muffin pan with 6 cupcake liners. Double this recipe for a dozen.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar and whisk well so all ingredients are blended.
- Now add the vegenaise and the water and use a hand held mixer and blend well until smooth. Now add the vanilla extract. Pour cupcake batter into the lined muffin tins evenly and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to completely cool before frosting with Vegan Chocolate Ganache.
- To make the ganache, over a double boiler( place a heat safe bowl over a small pot of simmering water) add the chocolate chips and the milk. Allow the chips to melt down and begin to stir until smooth. The ganache may appear lumpy at first but as you keep stirring the chocolate will continue to melt and appear silky and shiny. Add the vanilla extract once the ganache is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Remove from heat. Allow the ganache to completely cool at room temperature. Once the ganache is firm and has the consistency of frosting, begin to apply the ganache to the cupcakes as frosting.