Whether it’s for breakfast or brunch these Fried Chicken Biscuit Breakfast Sandwiches will blow your mind. The biscuits are soft and buttery and the chicken is fried to perfection drizzled in honey!
Why did I do this to myself?!
About this Fried Chicken Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich
There is no main star in this recipe, in my opinion. The key to success to this Fried Chicken Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich is, both, the biscuit and the fried chicken. The biscuit is soft and buttery and a perfect bread option for this sandwich. For the fried chicken I used skinless chicken thighs and seasoned them with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and onion and garlic powder. I also poured buttermilk over the chicken that adds a delicious flavor.
What makes these sandwiches even better were I drizzled the chicken with honey as soon as they were finished cooking. For the biscuits, I brushed them with honey butter as soon as they were finished baking. That made the biscuits even more delectable.
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tbsp. Baking powder
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ c. shortening, cold
- 4 tbsp. Unsalted butter, cold
- 1 c. buttermilk, cold
- 2 tbsp. Butter, melted
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 4 Boneless Chicken Thighs, cut in half
- 1 c. buttermilk
- ½ tbsp. Seasoned salt
- 2 tsp. Black pepper
- ¼ tsp. Smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp. Red pepper
- ½ tsp. Onion powder
- ⅓ tsp. Garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. Red pepper
- 1 c. flour
- Oil for frying
- Cut the chicken thighs in half giving you 8 pieces. Place them in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the chicken with seasoned salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Use your hands and toss the chicken in the seasonings making sure every piece of chicken is seasoned. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken. Cover in plastic wrap and allow to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature. If you need more time, place it in the refrigerator, until 30 minutes before ready to fry the chicken.
- In the meantime, make the biscuits. Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, and whisk together. Add the cold shortening and butter and use a pastry cutter or fork to mix into the dry ingredients. Pour in the cold buttermilk and use hands to bring together into a ball.
- Lightly flour your surface, the dough will still be sticky. Roll the dough in the flour on the surface until the dough is smooth. Use a roller and roll the dough to ½ inch thick, and use a biscuit cutter to cut the biscuits and place in a buttered round pan. Brush the biscuits with 2 tablespoons of melted butter and bake for 15 minutes and the tops of the biscuits should be slightly browned. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter with the honey and mix together.
- As soon as the biscuits are finished baking brush with the butter and honey mixture and pour some down the sides of the pan and the pan should sizzle a bit. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Pour oil in a deep fryer and heat the deep fryer to 350 Degrees. Take the flour and pour in a shallow bowl or pan. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, and ¼ teaspoon of red pepper. Mix with a fork. Take the chicken thigh and shake excess buttermilk off the chicken, dredge through the flour and shake excess flour, and place in a deep fryer and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes on both sides until golden brown.
- As soon as the chicken is taken out of the fryer, season again with a pinch of salt and pepper and drizzle lightly with honey.
- Once the chicken is fried, take one of the biscuits and slice in half, place the chicken in the middle making a sandwich, and serve.