Lemon Coconut Gooey Butter Bars
WARNING! THERE IS NOTHING HEALTHY ABOUT THESE BARS. PROCEED WITH CAUTION!
These Lemon Coconut Gooey Butter Bars will give you life!
By the time you read this post I will be on my way to Gattlinburg, Tennessee. Aside from me desperately needing a vacation, I am leaving because I know that some of you will want to hunt me down and scream my head off because of how good these bars look right now and you know you shouldn’t be eating these bars. Well, you are going to have to catch me when I come back…if you can.
By the time I come back from my vacation, let’s face it you would’ve eat an entire pan of these bars, gained 5 pounds, and started making another batch already. I know, I know they are stupid good. I wanted to make these bars because I have heard and seen the infamous Ooey Gooey Bars made by Paula Deen several times so I just had to make them myself. Well, they are ooey and definitely gooey. I understand why people love these bars. As I was making them I became conflicted with my emotions. I didn’t know whether to feel excited because I was making them or horrified because of the amounts of butter that went into the recipe. At first, I was horrified that I would immediately gain 5 pounds with one bite and have instant Diabetes, but when I tried one I was so happy and that horrified feeling went away quickly!
There are some things in life worth dying for and these Lemon Coconut Gooey Butter Bars are definitely worth the deep sleep!
I wanted to give these bars a different twist, which is where the lemon and coconut came from. I think Paula would approve of these Lemon Coconut Gooey Butter Bars. But first I must tell Paula Deen how much I love this recipe despite the calories, fat, and sugar. She is a pure genius. Anyway, so I would continue typing but I have to get rest for my vacation starting tomorrow. I just wanted to share with these with you because I know that you will appreciate them and me for giving the recipe to you. See you when I get back.
- 1 1lb. Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 egg
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. coconut extract
- ½ c. lemon juice (fresh)
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- ½ c. sweetened coconut
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. sugar
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- ¾ c. flour
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees and spray a 9X13 rectangular pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, pour in the cake mix, add the egg, and the melted butter and stir together with a wooden spoon. Once well mixed, pat into the bottom of the 9X13 rectangular pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese until smooth and add in the eggs one at a time creaming into the cream cheese after adding into the bowl. Add the vanilla and coconut extract, lemon juice, powdered sugar, and melted butter. Pour the filling on top of the cake mix.
- For the topping: Mix in the brown and white sugar, sweetened coconut, and stir in the butter. Add the flour to the mix and stir. The topping will become very crumbly. Turn to wax or parchment paper and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes so the crumbs can dry out a bit. Sprinkle the crumbs on top of the filling ( I didn't use all the crumbs for my personal taste). Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Make sure not to over bake as the center won't be as gooey. Allow to cool and cut into squares.