Personally, I think Paula Deen is the Julia Child of our time. Also, I secretly wish she was my grandmother or related to me in a way. I love her accent, I love her food, and I love this Banana Pudding Recipe that she came up with. She is an utter genius.
Let me tell you about my journey with banana pudding. First, it is probably the only banana dessert that I like. I don’t like banana cream pie, banana chocolate stuff, banana….anything. It just isn’t one of my favorites. I have had banana pudding a couple of ways. I had it in its classic form with bananas, pudding, and vanilla wafers layered and I had it baked. From what I was told southern banana pudding is baked. I don’t know how that could work, but I had it. I have had it in these two forms and tried several renditions of banana pudding. However, this is hands down the best banana pudding recipe that I have ever tried. I think the cream cheese gives it a rich and dense flavor that you don’t get in normal banana pudding. So this is me paying homage to Paula Deen and all of her wonderful creations. She inspires me and feeds me well. This is the gift that keeps on giving and definitely “Not Yo Mama’s Banana Pudding”!
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen
- • 2 bags (7¼ Oz. Size) Peppridge Farms Chessmen Or Shortbread Cookies, Divided
- • 8 whole Bananas, Sliced
- • 5 ounces, weight French Vanilla Instant Pudding
- • 2 cups Milk
- • 8 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, Softened
- • 14 ounces, weight Sweetened, Condensed Milk
- • 12 ounces, weight Frozen Whipped Topping
- Line the bottom of a 13x9x2 inch pan with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.
- In a bowl, combine pudding mix and milk an blend using a handheld mixer.
- In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk and mix until well blended. Use a rubber spatula and fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture until well incorporated.
- Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until well blended. Pour the mixture over the bananas and cookies. Add the remaining bag of cookies on top and refrigerate until ready to serve.