Chocolate on top of chocolate, on top of chocolate, on top of chocolate.
One of the most popular recipes that is on my blog are my Lemon Coconut Ooey Gooey Bars (you guys love them!). I also have had some very positive feedback about the recipe and people seem to really like the combination of lemon and coconut. I also think I got lucky with my Canon and ended up taking some really good pics. Anyway, I thought it would be worth the try to repeat the concept but using chocolate cake mix. Luckily, the idea has already been executed by Ms.Paula Deen herself. All I had to do was take her recipe and add my flare. Let’s just say…I flew. Get it?…my own flare…I flew. No? Okay. Moving on.
What I love about these bar is that you can’t tell if they are brownies or something else. They are just as dense as brownies and still just as chocolatey. They are a complete surprise! You will tell someone they are one thing, but their mouths will tell them something completely different. You can decide if that is a good or a bad thing. I think it is a great thing! I love when you eat food that is interesting and takes your mind on a roller coaster. No, these dessert bars are not something that you will see on “Top Chef” or “Chopped” but it is still something that will be memorable and will leave you wanting more. If that isn’t enough, there’s Oreo’s inside. Done (drop the spatula…and walk away).
* Recipe adapted from Paula DeenPrint
Ooey Gooey Chocolate Oreo Bars
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12-16 1x
If you like Ooey Gooey Butter Bars you will love these Ooey Gooey Chocolate Bars made with Oreo’s!
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, divided & room temperature (melted)
- 18.25 oz. Chocolate Cake Mix Box
- 3 eggs, divided
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. Oreos, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees and spray a 9X13 rectangular pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add 1 stick melted butter, chocolate cake mix, and 1 egg and blend until well combined. Press the cake batter into the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese until creamy, add 2 eggs, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. Slowly add in the last stick of melted butter. Fold in the Oreo chunks and spread the chocolate cream cheese mixture on top of the chocolate cake mix layer.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dessert
Leave a Reply