Pineapple Upside Down Cake was something that we would get around the holidays. It wasn’t a cake that we would get out of the blue. Thank goodness for that because I would be as big as a house. Although the topping is sweet it is a perfect cake for me because it doesn’t have what? ICING! The cake in this dessert is perfectly, moist, and delicious.
I wanted to make this cake a little more “springy”. So I added some orange zest that adds some lightness and goes well with the pineapple and I wanted to use peaches to give a subtle sweetness that soothes the tartness of the pineapple. I didn’t want to use maraschino cherries because 1. I don’t like them and 2. I never understood their place in this cake. I don’t think you will be terribly disappointed with the elimination of the cherries. However, if you have to have them then add them. But I promise, you won’t need them.
Recipe partially adapted from The Joy of BakingPrint
Pineapple Peach Upside Downcake
- Total Time: 55 mins
- • FOR THE CAKE:
- • 1-½ cup Flour
- • 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- • ¼ teaspoons Salt
- • 1 stick Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
- • 1 cup Sugar
- • 2 whole Large Eggs, Whisked
- • ½ cups Milk
- • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- • ½ teaspoons Almond Extract
- • ¼ teaspoons Cream Of Tartar
- • 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
- • FOR THE TOPPING:
- • 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- • ¾ cups Brown Sugar
- • 6 whole Pineapple Rings (from A Can Or Freshly Sliced)
- • 2 whole Peaches, Pitted And Sliced
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl cream together the butter and sugar then slowly add the beaten eggs. Begin to add the dry ingredients adding them a little at a time until fully incorporated.
- Take the 1/2 cup milk and warm it in a pan on the stove until the milk comes to a slight boil. Slowly pour the hot milk into the batter while beating with the mixer. Add both extracts, cream of tartar, and orange zest and mix them in.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Use a medium-sized (10 inch or so) cast iron skillet for this recipe. Add the 6 tablespoons of butter and heat over medium-low heat until melted. Make sure you rotate the pan a bit and try to get the butter on the sides of the pan. Once the butter has been melted add the brown sugar and stir until the brown sugar has melted. Place the pineapple rings around the pan and one in the middle, then place the thinly sliced peaches on top of the pineapples around the pan as well. Remove from heat.
- Slowly pour the cake batter on top of the pineapples and peaches. Smooth the top of the cake and place in the oven. Allow to bake for 30-40 minutes and until when toothpick is inserted it comes out clean. Once finished baking, remove from oven and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes. Take a plate and place on top of the pan and turn both of them upside down. The cake should slide off onto the plate. Serve when ready.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Cuisine: Dessert
Leave a Reply