This Shrimp Orzo Pasta Salad has a bit of a Mediterranean vibe to it where it includes feta cheese, grape tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, and red onion. This is a nice and light pasta salad that will go well for your family summer picnics or just because.
When it comes to soul food cooking around the holidays and summer cookouts, it is one of my main goals to introduce lighter and healthier side dishes and alternatives for people in my culture to eat aside from Potato Salad, Baked Beans, and Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with those side dishes. These are also some of my favorites. However, I am getting older and have developed an appreciation for other flavors that I think others would too. I believe this Shrimp Orzo Pasta Salad would be just the dish to shake things up a bit.
What’s in Orzo Pasta Salad?
You guys know me, I try to keep it simple as much as possible. The ingredients in this orzo pasta salad with shrimp are straightforward and should be easily accessible to most. The ingredients include:
- Grape Tomatoes
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
I pretty much toss all of these ingredients together until they are combined and add flavors of lemon, dill, olive oil, parsley, and salt and pepper. That’s it! Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
I want to challenge all of you out there who love all the comfort food side dishes to go with your BBQ. I am there with you, but I want to encourage you to try some lighter and healthier summer side dish options and this Shrimp Orzo Pasta Salad is a perfect option.
Commonly Asked Questions
Yes! You absolutely can make this day before or earlier in the day. Just cover with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator. I would not keep this in the refrigerator for more than 2 days.
No, although you will get a more robust flavor if you did. I understand not everyone has access to fresh herbs. You definitely can use dry herbs if that is better for you.
More summer side dishes below:
Items you may need for this recipe:Print
Shrimp Orzo Pasta Salad
- Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Diet: Diabetic
Lighten up your summer side dishes with this Shrimp Orzo Pasta Salad. Made using orzo, this salad is great for your picnic table.
- 1 ¼ c. dry orzo pasta
- 1 lb. large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 8 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cucumber, diced
- ½ c. red onion, diced
- ½ pint Grape Tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 tbsp. Capers
- 1 c. feta cheese crumbles
- ½ large lemon
- 2 tsp. Dill
- 1 tbsp. Parsley
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 tsp. Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the orzo pasta in a large saucepan filled halfway with about 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to medium-high heat. Cover with lid and cook for about 10 minutes. Once cooked, drain and rinse in cold water. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium-high skillet, add olive oil. Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel on both sides. Season with salt and pepper on both sides, and cook on both sides for 3-5 minutes until pink. Remove and place in a bowl.
- In a large mixing/ serving bowl, add the Orzo Pasta, cooked shrimp, chickpeas, cucumber, red onion, grape tomatoes, capers, and feta cheese crumbles. Use salad tongs and toss the ingredients together.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the pasta salad (be careful not to add the seeds), add the dill, parsley, olive oil, and garlic powder. Toss together evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Cover in plastic wrap and set in the refrigerator for, at least, one hour before serving.
- Prep Time: 1 hr 10min
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Mediterranean pasta salad, shrimp Mediterranean pasta salad, pasta salad with orzo
Leave a Reply