Make a steakhouse quality dish with Filet Mignon and a simple and delicious creamy shrimp and crab sauce. This Surf and Turf dinner option is a perfect recipe to serve for two!
There are times where I feel I could really be a vegetarian. To be honest, I probably could. The only thing that is keeping me from making that leap is steak and Pepperoni Pizza. I love a good steak! A perfectly seasoned medium steak makes me a very happy person. I also like to think that I can make a pretty good steak. I am no chef, but for a home cook, I think most would be surprised.
Cooking steak is pretty easy though. All it takes is a heavy cast-iron skillet, some kosher salt, and coarse black pepper really. Those are the basics. But you also need some butter, rosemary, and garlic to really take it to that five-star restaurant-quality that you need to make it even more delicious. With a cut like a filet mignon, you really need all of the ingredients mentioned to make this Surf and Turf recipe something special.
How do you cook Filet Mignon?
On both sides of the filet (any steak really), you season liberally with kosher salt and coarse pepper. Why do I keep mentioning kosher salt? Well, kosher salt is the perfect salt for beef. Table salt is too salty. If you were to taste food with table salt, kosher salt, sea salt, and Himalayan salt, although they all bring out the flavor of the food, they all have a different saltiness to them. With steaks, you really want to aim for a well seasoned cut of beef that, once seared, has a nice crust to it as well, which is where the salt and pepper comes in. I typically only use table salt for baking.
That doesn’t sound too bad, huh?
Internal Temperature of Doneness
Everyone has an ideal level of pink or not pink they want in their steak. Here are the internal temperatures for the different levels of oneness you may need:
- Rare: 125 F/ 52 C
- Medium Rare: 135 F/ 57 C
- Medium:: 145 F/ 63 C
- Medium Well: 150 F/ 66 C
- Well Done: 160 F/ 71C
What’s in the surf part of this recipe?
Now the surf part of this dish is a really simple and creamy sauce made with large plump shrimp and crab meat. When I say crab meat, I don’t mean that pink stuff in a vacuum-sealed package. Now, I mean real lump crab meat that is typically in a can or a plastic container. Go ahead and spend the money, it’s okay.
Overall, this is a delicious dinner for two Filet Mignon dinner that is irresistible.Print
Steak with Creamy Shrimp and Crab (Surf and Turf)
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 2 1x
Enjoy this Steak with Creamy Shrimp and Crab (Surf and Turf) recipe that is a perfect dinner for two. Made with delicious shrimp and crab on top of a perfect filet, you would think this is from a steakhouse.
- 2 – ¾ lb. Filet Mignon
- 1 tbsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tbsp. Coarse Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ c. heavy cream
- ½ c. white wine
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 4 oz. lump crabmeat
- ½ c. Parmesan Reggiano, shredded
- ½ lb. 18/20 raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Season the filets on both sides with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450 F Degrees.
- In a medium cast iron skillet or heavy duty skillet, turn heat to medium high heat (closer to high heat). Add the olive oil. Place the filets on one side in the skillet and sizzle on both sides for 3 minutes. The steaks should have a crust and browned on each side. Once cooked on both sides, add to the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven, immediately add the butter spring of rosemary, and garlic cloves to the pan. Once the butter has melted, begin to baste the filets with spoons with the juice, butter, and garlic. Do this for about 3 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil and set aside.
- To make the sauce, take a separate large shallow pan and turn on medium heat. Add the butter and allow to melt. One melted and bubbling, add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add heavy cream and white wine and bring to a steam. Allow to steam for five minutes. Add the lemon juice of half a lemon and stir. Add the parmesan reggiano and stir until the cheese has melted. The sauce will begin to thicken slightly. Add salt and pepper to taste at this point.
- Next, add the shrimp and crab meat and gently stir. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5-7 minutes to allow the shrimp to cook through.
- Add a filet to a plate and top with a heaping serving spoonful of the creamy shrimp sauce. Garnish with parsley and serve.
You can use a different type of steak. You can follow the steps the same, the cooking times may be off due to thickness.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
Keywords: filet mignon recipe, surf and turf recipe, surf and turf recipes, surf and turf for two, filet mignon dinner for two, valentines day dinner for two ideas, valentines day dinner idea, steak dinner ideas, steak dinner recipe, recipe for steak, steak and shrimp recipe, steak and shrimp, steak and creamy shrimp
Leave a Reply