Okay…I really need to start watching what I eat.
This Savory Beef Roll Ups Recipe is perfect for all eating lifestyles!
You know, before I got pregnant I told myself that I would do a lot of things during my pregnancy that I, honestly, I never did. I said that I would work out regularly, I would blog more, and I said that I would eat as healthy as I ever did. Yea so….none of those things happened. My first trimester kicked my ass. I think the first trimester really sets the tone for the rest of your pregnancy. Looking back on things now, I think if I would’ve fought through the nausea and fatigue I probably would’ve continued to work out and eat healthy. I fell victim to my symptoms and just gave up. In fairness to me, it was horrible. I don’t think I could’ve fought through it anyways. You know, oddly enough, I only gained 15 pounds so far. Well, I now have to change the way I eat because I have gestational diabetes. When I first found out I was surprised but when I thought about what I have eaten, I wasn’t surprised. I have eaten whatever I wanted from Spicy Chicken Sandwiches from Wendy’s, ice cream out the ying yang, Chik-Fil-A breakfast sandwiches, and a bunch of other crap. Now, I am on a mission to reverse everything I’ve done to myself.
I will be sure to share with you my journey and changes I made while having gestational diabetes, but with anything, you have to limit your diet to no added sugars and low carbs. That is the biggest thing. I have researched different meal options that will still give me the same fulfillment that I received by eating crap but won’t weigh me down and give me less energy. So, I thought Beef Roll Ups was a good idea. I always wanted to try a Beef Roll Up recipe. I don’t know what has prevented me from trying them but I am glad I did. Like most of my recipes, this recipe is very versatile and can be made according to your preference. In the center of my Beef Roll Ups, I used onions, red and green peppers, mushrooms, and a small amount of feta cheese. They were the bomb! As the onions and peppers begin to cook, they release its flavor that penetrate through the meat. So good! I didn’t add a lot of feta, but the amount that I did add was there and gave the meat more salt and flavor without adding extra salt.
You can serve this meal with some rice ( like me), mashed potatoes, baked sweet potato, or more sautéed veggies (what I should’ve did) if you are really trying to go low carb. You don’t have to use the same veggies that I did either. You can use asparagus, Julienne Asian style vegetables, different peppers, and cheeses. It doesn’t matter what you do, just know that your family will love it!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1.75 lbs Flank Steak, carved thin and long according to preference
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- ⅔ c. feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- toothpicks/ butchers twine
- Turn the flanks steak on a cutting board and season on both sides with kosher salt and pepper. Slice the flank steak into 4-5 inch pieces or as desired. With each piece of steak, add 2 slices of onion, peppers, and mushrooms at one end of the steak piece. Sprinkle 1 ½ tbsp of feta cheese as well. Tightly roll the steak away from you while using your front fingers to keep the filling inside. Use a toothpick or butcher's twine to tightly secure the inside ingredients. Repeat for remaining steak pieces.
- NOTE: If you do not have either, you can use dental non-flavored dental floss.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a grill pan on medium heat with 2 tbsp. Olive oil. Place 3 roll ups in the pan at a time, or as many as you can fit comfortably, and cook on each side for 5 minutes until each side is nicely seared. Remove the 3 roll ups and cook the remaining roll ups in the pan the same way.
- Return all roll ups to the pan and place in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes and serve.