What the heck did I do?!
I really didn’t mean to do this?
Before you find me guilty, please let me explain,
I had a bag of butterscotch chips for the longest and I wanted to hurry up and use them before they went stale. Ya see, I’m not a huge butterscotch person. Therefore, I was really struggling with ways to use these butterscotch chips. I really couldn’t come up with anything until one of my faith Facebook Followers gave me a wonderful idea of making 7 layer bars. When she suggested this to me, I was really stumped because the first thing I thought was, “What were the seven layers?”. I looked them up and, oh my goodness, I couldn’t believe the different variations of these bars and the ingredients that went into them. These are bars are a bit too sweet for my taste buds, but boy did I try to overcome them. Who won? My tastebuds. They’re getting soft on me. They can’t take these 7 Layer Bars!
Anyway, I wanted to make something that would be delicious and easy, like I always do, that you would like and appreciate. I know I accomplished just that but I know that as soon as you are on your second one you are going to start cursing me out, then you are going to make them for your friends and family, then they are going to start cursing you out, then they are going to make them, and it is a never-ending conversation full of these bars and curse words. In my defense, I plead to you to remember the feeling that you had at the very moment you took your first bite. If you remember that then I can deal with that. But you can’t hate me for this.
You just can’t.
- ½ c. unsalted butter (1 stick unsalted butter)
- 1½ c. graham crackers, crushed
- 1 c. salted pretzels, crushed
- 11 oz. bag caramel pieces
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 c. milk chocolate and peanut butter chips (mixed)
- ½ c. butterscotch chips
- ½ c. semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 c. salted peanuts
- 1-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees- Set aside a 8X8 Square dish that is well greased and lined with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter in the microwave and place the cup and a half of graham cracker crumbs and stir until the butter is well absorbed into the graham cracker crumbs and it looks course sand.
- Take another shallow bowl and pour in the caramel and the heavy cream. Place in the microwave and stirring the caramel every 30-45 seconds. Continue this process until the caramel is smooth. If you need to add more cream add about 1 tsp at a time. Pour on top of the graham cracker crust.
- Add the crushed salted pretzels on top of the caramel. Now add the milk chocolate and peanut butter chips, spreading evenly over the pretzels. Follow the same steps with the rest of the chips and peanuts. Pour the entire can of sweetened condensed milk on top of the ingredients evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden on top. Allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes and place in the refrigerator for, at least, 2 hours until the bars become very firm.
- - Cut into squares and serve!