If you are looking for a light and healthy meal option, try these Easy BBQ Shrimp Tostadas that are topped with a pineapple and pico de gallo topping, fresh cilantro, and fried sweet corn. This healthy recipe is perfect for making during the summer for cookouts, social gatherings, or for a light and healthy dinner option.
I don’t know why I don’t make tostadas more often. Like, seriously. Making tostadas is one of the easiest dishes anyone could ever make. In fact, think of tostadas as open-face tacos. You pretty much layer all of the ingredients that you want on top of one another on a flat and open crunchy taco shell. The best part is you can customize however you want. In the case of this recipe, I wanted to bring some summer flavors with some summer freshness.
BBQ Shrimp Tostadas Toppings
I think this recipe took all of 20 minutes to make. The recipe consists of large jumbo shrimp seasoned with BBQ seasoning. I topped the tostadas off with a simple pineapple pico de gallo mixture, fresh cilantro, fried sweet corn, and a simple chipotle sauce made with mayonnaise. That’s what I chose to top these shrimp tostadas but you can top them off with some of the following options:
- Pickled Onions
- Cotija Cheese
- Refried Beans
- Diced Red Onions
- Sour Cream
- Black Beans
In fact, a great idea would be to lay out all of these toppings in individual small bowls and allow people to create the tostada they want.
Commonly Asked Questions
I do not consider myself to be an expert on Mexican cuisine and its authenticity. However, in the case of these tostadas, the base of the dish is corn tortillas. You can buy these already made or you can purchase the soft corn tortillas and crisp them in the oven.
Yes! You can use steak, chicken, fish, or even tofu. Whatever you feel comfortable with as your main protein on the tostadas that will be fine. You can even make them completely veggie if you want by using sliced tomato, avocado, pico de gallo, and diced onion.
For my shrimp tostadas recipe, the total calories in this recipe are 415 calories, 26 grams of protein, and only 4 grams of sugar per serving.
If you like recipes like this, you will enjoy the recipes below:
- Steak and Eggs Huevos Rancheros
- Spanish-Style Rice Crunchwrap Supreme
- Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos
- Shrimp Orzo Pasta Salad
BBQ Shrimp Tostadas
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
This BBQ shrimp tostada recipe is simple and crave-worthy. It’s flavorful, inexpensive, and can be made quickly.
- 4 Corn Tortillas
- 16 large Raw Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp. BBQ Seasonings
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 c. mayo
- 1 1/2 tsp. Light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 ts. Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. Lime juice
- 1/2 c. pico de gallo
- 1/3 c. pineapple diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 c. sweet corn
- Optional Garnishes: Sliced avocado, salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce, fresh cilantro, black beans, or cotija cheese
- In a medium bowl, add the mayo, brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and lime juice, and mix until combined. Place covered in the refrigerator.
- Add the pico de gallo, chopped pineapple, and chopped cilantro to a bowl and toss. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 Degrees. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place 4 corn tortillas on top of the baking sheet. Spray the tortillas on each side with a little cooking spray and sprinkle with a little salt. Place in the oven for 5-7 minutes or until crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Place the shrimp on a plate or chopping block and pat dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, add the shrimp and toss in the BBQ Seasoning and a pinch of salt.
- In a large skillet, turn to medium-high heat. Add the olive oil to the skillet. Place the shrimp in the skillet and cook on both sides for 3 minutes and pink. Remove the shrimp and place them aside.
- Use the same skillet and cook the sweet corn in the spices and oil that was used for the shrimp. Cook for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Begin layering the tostadas with a dollop of the mayo mixture, top with four large shrimp on each tostada, a spoonful of pico, and sweet corn. Garnish with fresh cilantro and sour cream.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: tostadas recipes, shrimp tostadas recipe, easy shrimp tostadas recipe, bbq shrimp tostadas, shrimp ceviche tostadas
Leave a Reply