Take a different approach with your homemade latte by adding a little brown sugar and Bourbon. This Bourbon Brown Sugar Latte is a simple latte recipe that is made with Bourbon (or whiskey), brown sugar, and a touch of cinnamon for warmth. Use your espresso or coffee maker to bring this recipe to life.
I have my kids to thank for being addicted to lattes. It is the only way I can take coffee. I can’t drink coffee straight or even with a little cream. It upsets my stomach too much. But latte’s does my body just fine. It all started when my son wasn’t sleeping well through the night, and I turned to Starbucks for their hot chocolate because they would always give me just enough boost to get them through the first part of the day. Then, a coworker recommended that I try a latte, and I was hooked. It was like a surge of energy would run through my body. Now, I have to have a latte a few times a week. Depending on the week, once a day.
Now that I am an avid latte drinker, I always seek new flavors to add to my coffee drink. So, with some Bourbon (whiskey), I had some brown sugar lying around; I figured those two ingredients would make a great coffee flavor!
How to make this Brown Sugar Syrup
Making the syrup for this Brown Sugar Latte recipe is very simple.
- You combine equal parts light brown sugar and Bourbon in a small pot on the stove. You can use dark brown sugar for a more robust flavor.
- Add a few cinnamon sticks to the pot as well and bring to a slight boil and simmer for about 10 minutes to make sure the sugar dissolves and to extract the cinnamon flavor from the cinnamon sticks. As the syrup cools, it will thicken.
- Store the syrup in a mason jar or an air-tight container for up to 3 weeks.
Ways to use this syrup
This syrup is also good for other dishes and purposes as well. You can use this syrup for some of the following ideas:
- Candied Yams
- Iced Coffee Drinks
- Cake glazes and frostings
- Meat glazes such as chicken or beef ribs
Milk Alternatives for this latte
In our household, we are mostly almond milk drinkers. But I won’t lie; I tried a few different milk options, and using whole milk provides the best thickness and consistency once it’s whipped up. But our stomachs can’t handle it. So for this latte recipe, you can use dairy-free options such as oat, soy, or other plant-based milk you prefer. However, I will say that it depends on the brand and type of milk you choose to determine the thickness and amount of foam generated. Oat milk produces the least thickness and foam, in my experience.
Commonly Asked Questions
I’m glad you asked. My husband and I have gone through 2-3 different coffee/ latte machines to find the best fit at the right price. I’ll be honest, although this machine is a little bit more than what we tried to spend, we are HUGE lovers of the Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine by Breville. You can use this machine for coffee or espresso. The machine also includes their Aeroccino Milk Frother machine. If you already have a preferred espresso machine but just need a foam frother, you can try this frother, as it works well.
Yes. Although it technically wouldn’t be a latte, you can use this in a regular cup of coffee. This syrup will make an excellent gift.
If you like latte recipes like this one, you will like some of the recipes below:
- Easy Coffee Crumb Cake
- Easy Caramel Macchiato
- Mixed Berry Coffee Crumb Cake
- Cherry Almond Coffee Crumb Cake
Things you may needPrint
Bourbon Brown Sugar Latte
- Total Time: 25 minutes (10 minutes for cooling)
- Yield: 1 1x
This Bourbon Brown Sugar Latte is made with a mixture of Bourbon, brown sugar, and cinnamon. This makes a wonderful latte perfect for any time of the day.
FOR THE SYRUP
- 2 c. light brown sugar
- 2 c. Bourbon/ Whiskey
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
FOR THE LATTE
- 2 shots of Espresso
- 1/2 c. milk, foamed
- Garnish: Dash of Cincinnamon
- Add the Bourbon, light brown sugar, and cinnamon sticks to the pot in a medium saucepan. Place on medium heat and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, and remove from heat to completely cool. The syrup will thicken.
- Prepare the espresso using your coffee or manufacturer’s appliance instructions. Add the milk to your frother and froth according to your appliance instructions.
- Pour the espresso into a coffee mug. Add about a tablespoon and a half of the brown sugar bourbon syrup to the latte, and add the frothed warm milk to the espresso and stir. Top with additional foam and a sprinkle of cinnamon, and serve.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Brew
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brown sugar latte, bourbon latte, brown sugar oat milk latte, brown sugar latte hot, brown sugar latte at home
Leave a Reply