This Easy Coffee Crumb Cake Recipe should be enjoyed every morning.
Enjoy this Easy Coffee Crumb Cake that has a delicious cinnamon filling and a crunchy crumble.
So, before I knew better, when I was in my twenties (really in college) when it came to breakfast, it boiled down to one of two things. I would not eat breakfast, which we know isn’t good, or I would eat something pretty unhealthy like a large bowl of sugar induced cereal like Captain Crunch along with a donut or my choosing; or two donuts; and sometimes (if it was there) I would eat a slice of cake.Yeah I was pretty bad when I was younger. I had no idea what I was doing to myself nor how difficult it would be to lose that weight. When your younger and you can’t gain a pound no matter what you eat, you don’t really think about how things will catch up with you.
I am starting to feel the growing pains of getting older at the new age of 35. I know I’m getting older because every morning I wake up, I feel sore. I don’t even have to work out the day before. My bones are starting to crack a bit more and my muscles are little tighter than they use to be. Yeah, I am getting older. Although I can feel the changes in my body, my mind doesn’t feel that way. I don’t feel 35. Honestly, I feel that I stopped aging when I was in college. In fact, in a lot of ways, I still live like a college student. Let’s see I will eat peanut butter and jelly any time of day; I don’t let go of leftovers for nothing; if they weren’t so bad for me, I would eat Ramen Noodles everyday; and I have to remind myself that I am a wife and a mom just to make sure I wear something more than pj’s when I need to go to the store for a quick run. Now that I am all grown up, I have learned to suppress some of my college habits for more mature habits and decision making. I must say, this Easy Coffee Crumb Cake Recipe is a very mature answer to my inner desire to eat cake for breakfast everyday.
I am a sucker for a good Coffee Crumb Cake. If I drank coffee, I think I would eat Coffee Crumb Cake more often, actually. Let me tell you what I love the most about his Coffee Crumb Cake, the topping. This coffee cake has all the elements for an addictive and delicious coffee cake. When you bite into a slice of the cake its moist, buttery, has the touch of cinnamon, and that awesome crunchy crumble topping that I love. In fact, that element of this Coffee Cake that makes me go back for more is the topping. It is absolutely delicious.
You know, Mother’s Day is coming up and there is typically a delicious breakfast or brunch involved to celebrate the mothers out there. I have a ton of delicious breakfast and brunch recipes for you to choose from. Some of my favorites that would be perfect for mom are:
These are just a few of my favorite breakfast recipes. Now I’m adding this Easy Coffee Crumb Cake Recipe to that list. For a complete list of my breakfast recipes, click here.
Recipe adapted from Kings Arthur
- FOR CAKE:
- ¾ c. unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅓ c. light brown sugar, packed
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 ½ tsp. Baking powder
- 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ c. sour cream
- 1 ¼ c. milk
- 3 ¾ c. flour
- FOR TOPPING:
- 1 c. sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 c. flour
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 6 tbsp. Butter, melted
- FOR FILLING:
- 1 c. light brown sugar, packed
- 1 12/ tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees and spray a 9X13 casserole pan with non bake spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the topping (sugar, salt, flour, cinnamon, and melted butter). Use a fork to mix ingredients together until coarse crumbs occur. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mix ¾ cups butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy; add the salt, baking powder, vanilla extract, and eggs one at a time adding each one until they are well mixed into the batter. Add the sour cream and interchangeably add the flour and milk until batter is smooth and well mixed. Use a spatula and scrap the sides and mix once more.
- Pour half of the batter into the casserole dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle the brown sugar, cinnamon, and unsweetened cocoa powder that has been mixed together over the top of the first half of the batter. Use a butter knife and swirl the cinnamon topping into the cake. Spread the rest of the cake batter on top and smooth with spatula.
- Sprinkle the course crumbs on top of the cake batter and lightly pat into the batter. Bake on medium oven rack for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.