Add some sweet and tart cherries to these Ooey Gooey Bars.
These Cherry Ooey Gooey Bars are the perfect dessert that is perfect for potlucks or a crowd.
I am determined to take ingredients that are looked down or even despised in the culinary world and making something beautiful out of them. That is why I created a list of awesome recipes I’ve made over the years made with cake mix. If you are not the most confident baker in the world, you will love this dessert roundup. One of the recipes that are on that list, which is a recipe that keeps getting more and more reviews and social shares is my Lemon and Coconut Ooey Gooey Bars. That recipe was created completely on a whim combining two flavors that I thought would pair very well together. I must admit, although I am not a huge fan of coconut, this is one of my favorite recipes on my blog. So, it only makes sense that I come up with another flavor to combine with these Ooey Gooey Bars. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Cherry Ooey Gooey bars! Original, I know.
I absolutely love cherry desserts. I love Cherry Pie, Cherry Cobbler, and I even made a Brownie Cherry Cobbler. In fact, I love cherries. Except, maraschino cherries. Every summer when cherries are in season, I am on the first in line at local farmers markets and grocery stores buying Bing Cherries by the pound. Yes, I will sit and eat an entire bag of cherries in a day. Spitting out the pits and all. Cherries are the perfect fruit to combine with butter and even savory flavors and textures. Why do you think Cherry Pie is so good? In fact, my favorite part of Cherry Pie is the soggy buttery crust with a touch of the cherry pie filling. Mmm. That is the good stuff right there.
These Cherry Ooey Gooey Bars are delicious and versatile. You don’t have to use cherry pie filling. You can use whatever pie filling you want! That is what I love about my recipes (time to brag). My recipes are merely a template that will allow you to create something awesome and delicious in your own image. That can be true for most recipes made from cake mix. You can pretty much do with them whatever you want. I wish there was more to say about these Cherry Ooey Gooey Bars. All the words I could possibly say is within your first bite.Print
Cherry Ooey Gooey Bars Recipe
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
These Cherry Ooey Gooey Bars are sweet, tart, and oh so buttery. These dessert bars are made with butter, cake mix, and cherry filling.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- 3/4 c. flour
- 1 lb. cherry filling
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Line a 9X13 casserole dish with aluminum foil. Spray with baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cake mix, butter, and egg. Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Pat into the bottom of the pan evenly. Set aside.
- In another bowl blend with a mixer cream cheese and eggs one at a time. Add the butter, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. Mix until smooth. Pour on top of the crust layer in the pan.
- Open the cherry filling and spoon dollops of the cherry filling on top of the cream cheese filling. Use the spoon to spread as evenly as possible.
- Using a small bowl, add the brown sugar, sugar, flour, and melted butter and use a fork to combine until mixture looks like large clumps. Sprinkle on top of the filling evenly. Bake in the oven on the middle oven rack for 35-40 minutes. A toothpick can be inserted and come out clean, the edges will be set, but the batter may still appear a bit jiggly.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Dessert
Leave a Reply