In a few short minutes, you can have these Chicken Fajita Quesadillas on the dinner tables. They are made with perfectly seasoned chicken, freshly sliced bell peppers and onion, queso cheese, and crisp tortillas. Serve with a side of rice and beans for a complete meal.
The older I get, the more I am starting to love quesadillas. They are definitely falling in line with what I consider comfort food. They are perfect for any day of the week, great as an appetizer or an entree, and you can add anything in a quesadilla that you want. What I love about this recipe for cheesy chicken quesadilla recipe, is that it is perfect for hiding veggies in a meal. With the flavor of the chicken and cheese, your mouth will be too happy to care about the bell peppers that are in this recipe.
Ingredients in this Quesadilla Recipe
- Chicken: You can take two chicken breasts and slice them up into long thin slices and cook them until completely cooked through. Once you have them cooked you will season them with taco seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Peppers: Take an orange, red, yellow, and green bell pepper and cut into slices.I only used about a half of a bell pepper from each color. Obviously, if you are making more than the servings in this recipe, you will need more slices.
- Red Onion: I also added sliced red onions too. Red onions have a mild onion flavor so it isn’t as strong as yellow onions. However, if you only have yellow onions on hand, you can use those instead.
- Queso Cheese: I love queso cheese when using quesadillas because the cheese melts so beautifully. However, you can use Mexican Blend cheese that you can buy at your local grocery store if you prefer, but I highly recommend the queso cheese.
Sides to serve with Chicken Quesadillas
These Chicken Quesadillas are fine on their own, but if you are looking to make a complete meal of them, I recommend making a side of Mexican Rice or Refried Beans. Or you can be super basic and non-conventional like me and just make a side salad. This is an easy meal option that you can have on your table in less than 30 minutes! It is something that the whole family will enjoy and doesn’t cost much to make.
If you like recipes like these, you should check out some of the ones below:
- Cheeseburger Quesadillas
- Shrimp and Bacon Quesadillas
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Easy Mexican Chicken Taco Boats
- Chicken Chimichanga
Commonly Asked Questions
If you don’t have chicken on hand, you can use steak, lean turkey, shrimp, or tofu. Go wild! Go crazy!
I feel that I can’t eat quesadillas without a side of salsa and guacamole. Maybe I can go without the guacamole, but I definitely need a side of salsa to add some freshness to the dish because it can seem heavy with all the cheese.
Yes! You can brush the outsides of the tortilla shells with about a ½ tablespoon of olive oil, layer the quesadillas as detailed in the recipe, and place in a preheated oven that has been heated to 350 and bake for about 5-10 minutes or until the tortillas are crisp and slightly golden brown.