Put your leftover chili to good use by making these Chili Cheese Oven Baked French Fries.
Chili Cheese Oven Baked French Fries is something that I could eat every day, but shouldn’t.
One of the many things my husband loves about me is the fact that he can take me to a sports bar during the NBA PLayoffs and I will consider that as a date. I LOVE chowing down on some wings, potato skins, cheese sticks, sliders, and other various bar food all while drinking an icing cold hard cider like Angry Orchard or Strongbow. About once a year, we go to our favorite Sports Bar restaurant, order whatever is half off for Happy Hour, and have a feast over a bunch of food that is not good for you. It is an awesome good time! I believe the term for this type of food is “man food”.
If you have been following me for a while, you already know how big a deal tailgating is to me and my family. Heck, I even had a Tailgate Baby Shower. It is our tradition to gather downtown, pick a good spot near the stadium, or go over someone’s house, and enjoy a huge buffet of food while we trash talk one another’s team. It’s so much fun. Everyone pulls out their phone, go over their Football Fantasy Draft picks, and the trash talking just keeps going! Aside from all of us laughing, joking (sometimes harshly), and playing games, the other contributor to our fun is the food. Next time we have a tailgate party, I can’t wait to introduce these Chilli Cheese Oven Baked French Fries to the table.
About the Chili Cheese Fries
This is, quite simply, one of the easiest tailgate recipes you will ever make. Even if you don’t consider yourself to be a cook, you can still make these fries according to the recipes and be a winner! I made the Chili Cheese topping sing Hormel Turkey Chili, but you can definitely use whatever chili you want! I mean, we are approaching the season where we will begin to see Chili recipes all over the place. In fact, right here in Cincinnati, there is going to be some sort of Chili festival within the upcoming weeks. I have a Turkey Chili and a White Chicken Chili on my blog that you can refer to if you are looking for a good chili recipe.
Don’t want to use French Fries?
Use Nachos instead!
- 4 large Russet Potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 8 oz. Velveeta Cheese, cubed
- 15 oz. Can of Chilli, or two cups of homemade chili
- ½ tsp. Chilli powder
- ½ tsp. Smoked Paprika
- Optional toppings: sliced jalapenos, chives, cilantro, or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees. Line a large baking sheet and spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Peel and slice the potatoes to about wedges or thin fries style. Place them in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and place on top of a baking sheet making sure not place potatoes on top of one another.
- Depending on the size of your sheet, you might have to use two sheets. Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Flip the fries after 15 minutes. Remove from oven once slightly golden and crisp.
- While your fries are baking, use a large shallow saute pan and turn to medium heat. Add the Velveeta Cheese and the chili. Stir periodically to ensure the sauce doesn't burn. OR place in the crockpot for 1-2 hours. Add the chili powder and smoked paprika. Stir until smooth.
- Place the fries on a serving platter and pour the chili sauce on top along with the optional garnishes.