Chocolate and Pistachio is the perfect combination, especially in a shortbread cookie!
These Chocolate Covered Pistachio Shortbread cookies are buttery and absolutely delicious!
Have I ever mentioned how I think pistachios tastes like Pringles?
Maybe it’s just me. I really do feel that pistachios taste like Pringles. Just the plain kind, not a particular flavor. My best friend says I am weird and they taste nothing like Pringles. Oh well, there is a strong possibility that it is me. Just so I don’t feel like I am the only weird one out there in the world, have you ever tasted something and it tastes like something else? Do you know what I mean? Like….nutritional yeast tastes like cheese a bit. Or how Swordfish tastes like steak. Yes! Like a real beef steak to me. It’s okay if I am the only one, but I know I’m not.
These Pistachio Shortbread Cookies tastes like Pistachio Shortbread cookies. No doubt about it. My best friend actually inspired this creation. She loves pistachios. We were on the phone one day and she was giving me an ear full of how much she loves these crazy nuts. I told her that she would probably like my Chocolate Cake with Pistachio Buttercream I made over the holidays. For her to love pistachios so much that idea didn’t sound good to her at all. I don’t know why. I think she is a nut herself. Then I thought, cookies! She would like it in the form of a cookie! You have to be careful with pistachio because the flavor is so….interesting and nutty, and buttery in a way that if you are going to use them in a dish you have to think less is more. Pistachios are the star of anything you make with them. Just like these cookies. They aren’t incredibly sweet, they are buttery, nutty, and the chocolate just takes it to the moon. These cookies are perfect for a bridal shower with a tea theme or a small luncheon. You should make them.
Chocolate Covered Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. pistachios, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and the powdered sugar together until well blended. Add the vanilla extract and the salt. Slowly, add the flour until well mixed and stir in the pistachios.
- Now that the dough is complete, use your hands to form the dough into a ball and turn to parchment paper. Mold the dough into a log that is about 14-15 inches long, wrap with the parchment paper and roll in a circular motion (like its a rolling pin) on top of the counter for a more round shape. Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the cookie dough from the freezer. Cut into slices about an inch thick and place onto lined baking sheets about 1/2 inch apart and bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool before dipping into the chocolate. Once you have dipped them into the chocolate, sprinkle with excess pistachio crumbs if you would like.
Leave a Reply