This is a piece of heaven to some of you and some of you are curious.
Let me assure you this Moist Chocolate Cake with Pistachio Buttercream Frosting will make your taste buds happy!
At Findlay Market in Cincinnati, OH there is a gelato shop called “Dojo”. They are super amazing and they make their own waffle cones. Okay, anyway, earlier this summer I went there for the first time and one of the workers suggested that I tried two scoops of gelato. One being Dutch Chocolate and the other being Pistachio. I’ve had pistachio’s before as a snack but it was hard for me to imagine what pistachio “anything else” would taste like. Nevertheless, I tried it. Well….I thought it was the perfect combination of flavors and I loved the pistachio flavor by itself. Its rich, nutty, and slightly sweet. It is awesome if you like nutty flavors.
I was thinking a couple weeks ago how awesome it would be to make a cake combining those flavors. I struggled with how to make the frosting out of pistachio’s. I never seen a pistachio extract or pistachio paste, so I thought, “Why not just grind pistachios and combine them with the rest of the buttercream frosting ingredients?” I took a leap of faith and a risk. However, I am so glad how it came out! It is nutty but it doesn’t overpower the chocolate cake at all! It is the perfect and most unique cake I ever made. For Thanksgiving this year, you can make this for your family and I promise you they’ll love it. Why must we stick to the same old desserts every year, huh? Let’s change it up or, at least, add something new to the dessert table.
So, this completes “Thanksgiving Week”……..or does it?Print
Moist Chocolate Cake with Pistachio Buttercream Frosting
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 2 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. hot coffee
- 6 oz. Bag unshelled pistachios
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 5 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350: Grease or spray a round bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter by using a hand held or standing mixer to mix all ingredients. Add the vanilla extract and slowly pour in the hot coffee while mixing so the coffee doesn’t splash everywhere. The batter should be thin.
- Pour in the bundt cake pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean. Allow to cool int he pan for 10 minutes. Place a cooling rack on top of the bundt cake pan and flip the pan so the cake can come out smooth and continue cooling on the wire rack.
- In a food processor, grind the pistachios until they become very fine crumbs. Cream the butter until creamy, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time. The frosting will be thick at this time and add the milk to loosen up the frosting. Add the pistachios and blend well. Once the cake has completely cooled, frosting the cake to your liking.
Leave a Reply