I love sweet and salty combinations.
There isn’t anything that I probably wouldn’t try if it has a sweet and salty component to it. Like Chocolate Covered Potato Chips. The only sweet and salty combination that I don’t like is chocolate covered bacon. I don’t know why I don’t. The chocolate really brings out the salt in the bacon to the point where its either too much salt or too much chocolate. That sweet and salt combination does hit your tongue on many different angles. But I do like chocolate covered potato chips. If you haven’t had them you are missing out. They are amazing and they are super easy to make.
I decided to take the regular chocolate covered potato chip up a notch. In the baking world, salted caramel is the new black. I have been hesitant to make something with this concept because it seems that the idea has been used up more than public restroom at a 7/11. I couldn’t resist in this case. I must warn you…they are addicting. You have been warned. Just like the other chip, you can’t just have one of these either. You will want to keep going back for more. And why wouldn’t you want to?! It is very easy to do.
Chocolate Covered Potato Chips with Salted Caramel and Peanuts
- 10– 12 whole salted ruffled potato chips
- 8 oz. chocolate candy coating
- 1 ½ c. sugar
- ½ c. water
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. salted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 c. nut topping
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a slight boil. Continue to stir so the sugar doesn’t stick to the pan. Once the caramel turns an amber color, take off the burner.
- As soon as you take the caramel off the burner, pour and whisk in the cream at the same time. Continue to whisk until the cream is completely blended. Then add butter and stir until the butter is completely melted. Add the salt, extract, and you’re done. You can pour the sauce in mason jars if you would like.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave stirring every 45 seconds until completely melted. Set aside.
- Now you have your salted caramel sauce and melted chocolate, let the dipping begin. Take you potato chip individually and dip in the caramel sauce. You might have to dip more than once for a heavy coating. Once you are finished dipping, place on a cooling rack and allow to cool and set before you dip into the chocolate.
- Once the caramel has set (dried) on your chip, dip the chips in the chocolate. Again, you might have to dip more than once. Once you have finished dipping the chip in the chocolate, place on parchment paper and sprinkle with the nut topping. Allow for the chocolate to completely set before eating.
Leave a Reply