The summer isn’t over yet and these Easy Fruit Parfaits with Custard is the perfect summer dessert.
Enjoy these Easy Fruit Parfaits that is layered with Homemade Custard and Lady Finger cookies!
When I was younger, I loved fruit parfaits! In fact, I think it is safe for me to say that parfaits were probably one of my favorite desserts. Or maybe it was the parfaits that were sold from KFC. I don’t know if they still sell them, but if they do make sure you try the Strawberry Parfait. It is super yummy! In any case, where was I? Oh yeah, I LOVE FRUIT PARFAITS!
What I love about this Easy Fruit Parfait recipe is the ladyfingers and the Homemade Custard!
In this recipe, I used various fruit such as sliced strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, and mango. I chose those fruits (I hope that is grammatically correct) because of the contrast in colors. I think the flavor palate of the combination of the fruit combo make sense and it is sooo summering! But what is so awesome about this recipe is you can use whatever fruit combo you want. In fact, you don’t have to use a fruit medley at all. If you like one type of fruit, you can use just that one piece of fruit.
Now let’s talk about the Homemade Custard.
This is the same custard recipe that you will find in my Boston Cream Mini Tarts recipe. Prior to that recipe, I have always wanted to make Homemade Custard. I guess I was nervous because I didn’t want to come out with scrambled eggs. The first time I tried to make a custard, which was some years ago, I did just that. I scrambled eggs. In fact, I believe I was trying to make homemade ice cream and I just kept scrambling the eggs. So I just said forget it. However, when I made the custard for the Boston Cream Pie Mini Tarts and this recipe, I was quite pleased with the outcome. I guess I just had to find the right way to make a custard.
The custard for this recipe is perfect for these Easy Parfaits. It isn’t too sweet and it has a nice vanilla flavor. So, when you combine the custard, with the fruit, and the ladyfingers, all of these elements make for a decadent dessert.
- 1 ½ c. whole milk or heavy cream
- ½ c. sugar
- ¼ c. flour
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 18 Ladyfinger cookies
- 2-3 c. assorted fruit (strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, mango, and raspberries)
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, flour, and salt. It will look like a thick paste but that’s okay.
- Warm the milk in a small on the stove just until it begins to steam. Very, very slowly, whisk in the warm milk into the egg yolk paste mixture to be sure the egg yolks don’t scramble. It will begin to look thin and frothy, but this too is okay.
- Turn the custard mixture back to the stove in the small saucepan on low to medium heat. Constantly stir the custard mixture as it begins to thicken. Once the custard begins to look pudding remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap allowing the wrap to be placed directly on top of the custard to avoid the skin from developing. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Using 8 oz. glasses, begin layering the parfaits with ladyfinger cookies, 2 heaping tablespoons of custard, 2 heaping tablespoons of fruit, and repeat layering. Chill parfaits until ready to serve.