These Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwiches are topped with an easy coleslaw, pickles, and served on a buttered Brioche Bun. All it needs is your appetite!
So, I don’t know about where you are, but it is hot as hell here in Ohio. So hot, it makes you want to stay inside and never come out. I love the outdoors, but I do not like the heat. The only time when the heat is okay when there is nothing but water around me and a huge body of water and a Pina Colada in my hand. That is really just about the only time when I do not mind hot weather like the kind we’ve been having. When it’s hot outside, I do not, I repeat, I do not like to cook. I prefer fast and light meals. It’s way too hot outside to eat a heavy comfort food meal. This summer is all about salads and sandwiches. Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwiches that is.
I do not like to cook or eat heavy in the summer. I believe it has something to do with the heat. It wears me out. So I try to eat as light as possible. You definitely won’t find me eating this Chicken Cacciatore recipe or Loaded Macaroni and Cheese recipe in the summer months. I am more along the lines of this Shrimp and Sweet Corn Salad recipe that was absolutely perfect for dinner. But I do like to enjoy dishes of some sustenance and these Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich is the perfect meal.
How to make these Fried Chicken Sandwiches
I typically make my Fried Chicken one of two ways. I marinade it in buttermilk with a few cloves of garlic and sprigs of rosemary. Or I create an egg wash to dip the chicken into, then flour, and then the fryer. This gives the chicken crispier skin. In the case of this chicken recipe, the chicken thigh is perfect! On top of that, I made a simple coleslaw. Now I know many of you may not like coleslaw. I must admit, I am not a fan either. I only like coleslaw the way I make it or if it comes KFC. My coleslaw is made a mayo, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper. That’s it! Just in case you’re wondering, you have to have this sandwich with coleslaw. It’s not the same without it.
- 6 Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Black pepper
- 1 c. Buttermilk
- 3-4 dashes of hot sauce
- 1 c. flour
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Black pepper
- ½ tsp. Red pepper
- 4 c. coleslaw mix
- ½ c. mayo
- 1 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Honey.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 Brioche Buns
- Oil for frying
- Dill pickle slices
- Preheat your deep fryer to 350 degrees. Fill halfway with vegetable oil.
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper. Place in an airtight container and pour over the buttermilk. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. In the refrigerator
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, pepper, and red pepper. Take a chicken thigh from the buttermilk and shake the excess. Take the chicken thigh and dredge though the flour and shake off the excess, Place in the hot oil and fry on both sides for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. When finished transfer to cooling rack and immediately sprinkle with a little salt. In a medium bowl, add the coleslaw, mayo, honey, and vinegar. Toss together and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can toast the buns on the stove and add about 2 tablespoon of butter on medium heat. Once melted add the buns, inside down and toast for about 1 minute. Layer the sandwich with fried chicken, pickles, and coleslaw.