Peaches are in their perfect stage for picking. This Homemade Peach Slab Pie is a rustic and perfect dessert option for events where you just want to make something sweet without the hassle.
I absolutely LOVE going to Farmers Markets. I am that person who looks forward to the upcoming Farmers Market Season to explore what our local growers are growing and making. I always fall in love with some sort of jelly, preserve, butter, seasoning, or baked good. There was one time I bought a loaf of French Bread that was baked in an Oven Bricked oven. Man, that was delicious. I always leave the Farmers Market with bags full of produce and custom artisan ingredients that I can’t wait to experiment with.
Because there are always so many good smells going on at a Farmers Market, the aroma surrounding it smells so enticing and warm. I can’t think of a better way to describe the various scents of a Farmers Market than Introducing Yankee Candle Farmers Market Collection that include the warm fragrances of Dried Lavender & Oak, Golden Chestnut, Ciderhouse, Persimmon & Brown Sugar and Sweet Maple Chai. My favorite fragrance is Farmstand Festival! It is a blend of warm and fruity scents that makes your kitchen smell like a Farmers Market Stand that sells pies! Kind of like this Homemade Peach Slab Pie.
Peaches are my absolute favorite fruit. Peaches and cherries. I love the sweetness of the peaches. Furthermore, I love baking recipes like Peach Compote used for Ice Cream and Peach Cobbler. They are delicious and perfect for the summer. But what I love more is this Peach Slab Pie Recipe.
What is a Slab Pie?
To put it simply, Slab Pie is a pie baked in a rectangular baking pan rather than a round pie baking dish. Yep, that pretty much explains it. I think Slab Pie is perfect for those informal occasions where you want to make something rustic without all of the hassle and pressure to make something look pretty. No one will expect your Slab Pie to look perfect. Because I am not a baking artist, rustic desserts like this are perfect for me. In addition, you can get more servings out of a Slab Pie. This pie is meant to serve a crowd.
If I owned a Farmers Market Stand, I would have all type of fruity Slab Pies. One with peaches (of course), apples, cherries, and even blueberry! People would come to my stand just to have a square piece of my pie with my Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. My stand would smell just like Yankee Candle’s Farmers Market Collection Farmstand Festival candle.
This Homemade Peach Slab Pie is made with fresh peaches, but you most certainly can use frozen if needed. Also, in the process of making this pie a few times, I learned an awesome technique to remove the skin from peaches so you don’t have to peel 6 peaches, which can be a pain.
This Fall, you have got to try one of Yankee Candle’s new fragrances from their new Farmers Market Collection. Celebrate National Farmers Market Week with the purchase of one of these candles and begin to feel what it must feel like to own a Farmers Market Stand.
Homemade Peach Slab Pie & Yankee Candle
- Total Time: 2 hours 5 mins
- Yield: 20 1x
Make this Homemade Peach Slab Pie using fresh peaches and made in a baking sheet. This is a perfect dessert that will feed a crowd!
- 2 Premade Pie Crust Rolls
- 5 large ripe peaches, sliced
- 3 tbsp. Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Nutmeg
- 3 tbsp. Cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. Coarse white sugar
- Take the sliced peaches and turn them to a medium mixing bowl. Sprinkle with both sugars, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cover in plastic wrap and allow to sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees and spray a large 9X13 rectangular baking sheet with baking spray.
- Using a fine-mesh strainer, Drain the peach liquid into a medium saucepan and place on oven burner on low to medium heat while whisking continuously. Place the peaches to the side. Once the peach liquid begins to thicken, add the peaches, stir and remove from heat. Add the salt and lemon juice and stir once more. Set aside.
- Rollout the pie crust onto a floured surface giving an extra ½ each way and trying to roll into a rectangular shape as well as you can. Place the pie crust dough onto the sprayed baking sheet allowing the excess dough to hang from the sides. Spread the peaches evenly across the baking sheet. Take the other pie crust and repeat the same process of rolling out an extra ½ inch on both ends and forming into a rectangular shape as much as possible. Carefully place on top of the peaches and roll and pinch the excess dough alongside the edges of the baking pan. Use a fork and poke holes across the pie.
- Take the melted butter and brush the top of the pie and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and serve.
- IDEA: You can also make an icing to go on top of the pie if you want added sweetness.
- Prep Time: 90 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Dessert
Leave a Reply