I have never been a huge Starbucks person.
In fact, I don’t like coffee. It makes my stomach hurt and my teeth feel dirty. I’ve even tried decaf but I can’t do it. What about the caramel machiatto’s and all of that right? No. I can’t drink those either. Not to mention they are super unhealthy. I really try not to drink my calories. If I am going to increase my caloric intake I’m going to consume them by eating them not drinking them. Nevertheless, I will go to Starbucks to grab a cup of tea or their turkey bacon egg white sandwich and occasionally their almond biscotti. In fact, Starbucks was the first place I even tried biscotti. At first I didn’t care too much for it because it was too hard. I didn’t know if it was hard cookie or….heck…I didn’t know what it was. But I tried it again and started really liking it.
As you may already be able to tell if you are a faithful blog follower (thank you if you are) I like my sweets loaded with…stuff. My biscotti aren’t an exception. This recipe is pretty darn awesome! It’s loaded with white and dark chocolate chips, toffee (my favorite thing to add to sweets) marshmallows, and pecans. This is a great and easy thing to make if you are having people over for coffee or maybe you can make this for your dinner party instead of a heavy dessert. Another great thing about this biscotti recipe is that you can add and omit ingredients to your liking! One thing you should know, I have sensitive teeth so I didn’t bake the biscotti a second time like you are supposed to so they are crisper. I left mine relatively soft. But for traditional biscotti you should bake them a second time. Come back and let me know what you think!
Rocky Road Biscotti
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
- 1–¾ cup Sugar
- 3 whole Large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Chocolate Extract Or Espresso Powder (optional)
- ⅓ cups Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- ¼ teaspoons Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2–½ cups Flour
- 2 cups Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips, More For Garnish
- 1 cup White Chocolate Chips, More For Garnish
- 1–½ cup Marshmallows
- 1 cup Toffee Pieces (like Heath Brand)
- 1 cup Pecans
- Optional Garnish: Melted White Or Dark Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixer bowl, cream together the butter and sugar and then add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Then mix in the vanilla extract and the espresso powder (if using).
- Mix in the cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and powder, and flour. Fold in both chocolate chips, marshmallows, toffee and pecans.
- Spread dough into two log shapes on a parchment paper covered baking sheet and bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Then remove it from the oven and allow the biscotti to completely cool.
- Use a long serrated knife to slice logs into 1/2 inch thick slices. Return the biscotti to baking sheets and bake a second time to make them more crisp for about 10 to 20 minutes on 325 F (I didn’t do this step because I wanted this biscotti to be a little soft but for the traditional biscotti texture don’t skip this step). Allow to cool before garnish.
- Drizzle melted white and dark chocolate on the biscotti if you choose before serving.
Leave a Reply