Light, buttery, and sweetened Shortbread Cookies brought together with a chocolatey layer of Nutella make for a perfect Shortbread Nutella Sandwich Cookie.
We are right on the precipice of the cookie baking season. Oh, how I look forward to the cookie exchanges and the endless Christmas holiday parties that I am already getting invited to. With the jump from Halloween straight to Christmas (Thanksgiving gets no love) I am totally in holiday baking mode and experimenting on different treats that I can share with all of you! I am getting started with sharing this Shortbread Nutella Sandwich Cookies recipe. I also believe these cookies are called “Yo-Yo’s” due to the look of the cookie.
Recipe partially adapted from Taste of Home Holiday Cookies magazine
- 1 ½ c. unsalted butter, softened (3 sticks butter)
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp. Milk
- 1 tsp. Almond extract
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 3 ½ c. flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 c. chocolate hazelnut spread
- In a large bowl using a handheld or standing mixer, add the butter and blend with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, milk, almond and vanilla extract, and mix together. Add the flour one cup at a time and baking powder and mix into wet ingredients. A form of dough will form.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured service. Roll the dough out into a rectangle stretch about 11 inches by 8. Use a cookie cutter and cut into even pieces. Place cookies onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Place the cookies about an inch and a half and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool and place them on a baking rack.
- Once the cookies have cooled, spread the chocolate hazelnut spread on one cookie and join with another. Serve as desired.
- NOTE: You can also use a cookie press for this recipe and shapes as well.