I would like to take this time to thank the God Father of my son for this Skillet Cornbread Recipe!
You can try regular dinner rolls for Thanksgiving this year, or this Skillet Cornbread Recipe and change-up the pace for one amazing meal!
One of my husband’s best friends is now one of my best friends and he goes by the name of Deon. He is an awesome man, with an awesome story, and awesome recipes that have been shared with him by his family that I have happened to fall in love with. Deon is originally from North Carolina. If there is one thing I know about people who were born and raised for most of their lives in the south, is that they have some good ideas and trends that have been given to them that hardly anyone ever does or knows anything about. Well, I have been given the extreme opportunity and pleasure to learn an alternative method to make cornbread that you would make from Jiffy Cornbread Mix into cornbread even more delicious and amazing!
I am not quite sure how we got on the subject, Deon and I, but we were sharing food tips when he came over for a visit and shared with me a method that his mom used to do with regular Jiffy Cornbread Mix! He said that she wouldn’t just add the milk and egg required, which is good by itself, but she would add a dollop of sour cream, honey, and a can of creamed corn! Who-the-freak-knew?! She also added sharp cheddar cheese, which is also delicious and amazing! I made Chili Cornbread Casserole bake with this cornbread method and I swear I was in heaven. I can’t wait to share that recipe with you by the way. But the cornbread without the cheese is sweet, moist, and that creamed corn gives the cornbread amazing moistness that it gives the cornbread a cake-like texture. Trust me you will love it and you will not go back to making Jiffy any other way ever again!
Skillet Buttery Cornbread Recipe
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
Change up your holiday dinner rolls for this Skillet Buttery Cornbread Recipe made with creamed corn, sour cream, and Jiffy Cornbread mix!
- 2 Boxes Jiffy Cornbread
- 2 large eggs
- ½ c. whole milk
- 4 tbsp. Butter, melted and divided
- 15 oz. can sweet cream corn
- 1 heafty dollop sour cream
- ¼ c. honey
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the jiffy cornbread mix, large eggs, milk, 2 tbsp. Melted butter, and mix well together. Add the sour cream and creamed corn to stir.
- Using a medium-large cast iron skillet, place on stove on medium heat and add 2 tbsp of butter and allow to melt and come to a slight sizzle. Pour the cornbread mix into the skillet and place in oven for 20-25 minutes or unti l toothpick can be inserted in the middle and comes out clearn. As soon as the cornbread comes out allow to slightly cool. Add more butter around the edges, if desired and cut into triangles.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Bread
Want more dinner roll substitute options for Thanksgiving? Give one of these a try!
White Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits- CLICK HERE
Crockpot Bread with Rosemary- CLICK HERE
Sweet Cream Biscuits- CLICK HERE
Leave a Reply