These Tart Lemon Squares are a blast from the past.
These Tart Lemon Squares are deliciously sweet and tart and lemony, but you know that already.
I am very particular when it comes to lemon desserts. In fact, I don’t like most of them. Yes. It is true. I am not a big fan of lemon meringue pie, lemon cookies, lemon fluff, and most lemon cakes. I don’t know necessarily what it is, but it just doesn’t “Tickle My Fancy”. However, the one lemon dessert that I do like is lemon squares. I think the reason that I like lemon a square more than other “lemony” desserts is because of the tartness of them.
I love the richness of a good lemon square although I can never really finish one. Why you are wondering? The reason is most lemon squares, in my opinion, are very tart and rich. But that is what makes them good to me! With spring now among us, I wanted to make a spring inspired dessert and I thought what better dessert to bring in the spring than something lemony? Its light, the color is perfect, and it puts you in mind of lemonade, which reminds you of summer that is just around the corner. Well here are my very tart and rich lemon squares. I hope that you like them!
- Ingredients- Shortbread Crust
- 1 c all purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅓ c powdered sugar
- 1 stick cold, unsalted butter, grated
- Ingredients- Lemon Filling
- 4 eggs
- 2 c sugar
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ c lemon curd
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Typically, the crust can be made in a food processor by adding in all the ingredients until it is dough. However, if you do not have a food processor, in a large bowl add all the dry ingredients together and stir. Then, add in the cold butter (use a cheese grater to grate the butter) and with a fork or your hands; blend in the butter with the dry ingredients.
- In a greased square pan, take the dough and use your fingertips to press the dough evenly in the square pan. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside and allow to cool.
- You will need a 9X9 inch square pan for this dish.
- Mix in all the ingredients with your stand mixer or use your handheld mixer until the mixture is smooth. Pour this over the baked crust and place back in the oven for 25 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with candied lemon peel, if you would like.