This Old-Fashioned Lemon Squares recipe is tart, buttery, and sweet. The crust is a simple buttery shortbread crust topped with a lemon curd filling made with fresh lemon juice, sugar, and a touch of lemon curd for extra lemon flavor.
I am very particular when it comes to lemon desserts. In fact, you can say that I am not a fan of most lemon desserts such as Lemon Meringue Pie, Lemon Cookies, and lemon pudding (if that is a thing). Not a fan. However, the one lemon dessert that I LOVE is Lemon Squares.
How to make these Easy Lemon Bars Recipe
These tangy lemon squares are quite simple to make. You start by making a shortbread crust that is made with flour, sugar, and butter. Bake the crust until it is firm but still light. Next, you make the lemon custard using eggs, sugar, lemon juice, lemon curd, and flour. Whisk that until well combined and pour on top of the crust. Bake for a few short minutes and allow to cool. Once cooled, dust with powdered sugar, cut into squares, and you are all done.
Commonly Asked Questions
No. The filling should be okay without it. I found that the lemon curd does enhance the flavor a bit though and makes the lemon bars better.
You definitely don’t want to serve these bars hot or warm. You need to allow them to cool at room temperature for a few hours to ensure the custard filling sets well. I do refrigerate them to speed up this process and I think having a chill on the squares makes them taste better too.
This might be okay. When I make this easy lemon squares recipe, I do find there to be a bit of dried foam around the perimeter. This does not affect the taste. Also, after you dust it with powdered sugar you won’t be able to tell.
If you like this lemon dessert recipe, you will enjoy the ones listed below!
- No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake Parfait
- Lemon and Cherry Dump Cake
- Strawberry Lemonade Bars
- Lemon Pudding Cake
Old-Fashioned Lemon Squares
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
This tart lemon bar recipe features a crispy buttery crust and a yummy tart lemon filling.
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 stick cold, unsalted butter, grated
- 4 large eggs
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 c. lemon curd
- Garnish: Powdered Confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Typically, the crust can be made in a food processor by adding in all the ingredients until it becomes a dough. However, if you do not have a food processor, in a large bowl add all the dry ingredients together and stir with a fork.
- Add in the cold butter (use a cheese grater to grate the butter) and with a fork or your hands; blend in the butter with the dry ingredients.
- In a greased 9X13 baking pan, line with parchment paper, take the dough and use your fingertips to press the dough evenly into the square pan. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside and allow to cool.
- Mix in all the ingredients (eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and lemon curd) with your stand mixer or use your handheld mixer until the mixture is smooth about 5 minutes
- Pour this over the baked crust and place back in the oven for 25 minutes or until set. Allow to cool at room temperature and set in the refrigerator to continue cooling.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with candied lemon peel, if you would like.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy lemon squares recipe, best lemon squares recipe, tangy lemon squares, easy lemon bars for a crowd
Leave a Reply