This is one sexy dish.
You know, this is the first time I ever had Gnocchi. Seriously! The absolute first time. I have seen it several times and always attracted to trying the dish because the small pasta pieces seems so soft and decadent. I was always so curious.Every recipe I seen always looked so good. The reason it took me so long to try Gnocchi is because I felt that it was one of those ingredients that was above my “cooking-grade”. I also feel some kind of way about cooking with ingredients that I can’t pronounced or is pronounced completely opposite of how it is spelled. It gives me the impression that it is too fancy. Which is probably why Gnocchi is as “fancy” as I am going to get. But I was in Trader Joe’s and it was on sale for a buck and some change and I thought it was a perfect time to get creative and try it. “When in Rome”, right?
For this to be the first time where I tried and made Gnocchi I have to tell you, I don’t know why I waited for so long to try this beautiful pasta. First of all, I love pasta. Second, it is the softest and most delicate thing I think I ever tasted. It is a food that you are forced to eat slow because of its delicateness. Adding jumbo lump crab meat, large shrimp, and white wine sauce to the Gnocchi makes the dish taste like something that should be at a 5 star restaurant. Like seriously. This is an incredibly romantic dish. You will love this dish and I know the ingredient list and steps seems to be a bit intimidating, but I promise you that if you make this dish, you will be so glad you did. I am glad I did. All I needed was a glass of chilled wine, garlic bread and salad. Oh yea, this is not a healthy dish. After one taste, you won’t care.
I want you to get creative with this dish. You can totally add lobster, scallops, clams, or crawfish. Go crazy! Get creative!
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1½ c. white wine
- 1¾ c. heavy cream
- ½ lemon
- 2 c. Parmesan Reggiano Cheese
- 6 oz. large shrimp, cooked ( I cooked about 15 or so pieces of large shrimp)
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 16 oz. lump crab meat
- 1 lb. Gnocchi
- parsley for garnish
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add the Gnocchi to the pot and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes. Once all the gnocchi has floated to the top of the pot, remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon and turn to a large bowl and cover with paper towel.
- To make the sauce, melt the tablespoons of butter and melt on medium heat in a deep and large shallow pan. Once the butter has melted, add the shallots and cook for 3-5 minutes until the shallots become translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook the garlic for about 2 minutes until it becomes fragrant.
- Add 1 cup of white wine to the garlic and shallots and allow to simmer until reduced by half. Add the other half of the wine and simmer for 2 minutes and add the heavy cream. Allow the cream to simmer for 3-5 minutes and strain the sauce to remove the garlic and shallots and turn the sauce to a bowl to return back to the shallow pan. Return the pot back to the burner and bring to a slight simmer. Add the Parmesan Reggiano cheese, squeeze in the half a lemon, and stir. Turn the sauce down to simmer while occasionally stirring so the milk and cheese doesn't stick.
- In the shallow pan with the sauce, add the gnocchi, crab meat, and cooked shrimp and simmer together for 5-7 minutes. Serve and garnish with parsley.