These cupcakes are loaded with chocolate chips. If you are a Chocolate Chip Cookie fantatic then you will love these Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Buttercream.
I really do think I have a problem. I love Chocolate Chip Cookies a little bit too much. I mean more than the average person. If it were healthy, I would make a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies every day. I’m not talking “skinny cookies” I mean the real-deal-holy-field Chocolate Chip Cookies with real butter and real brown sugar. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve made and had Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies and they are okay, but there is nothing like the original Chocolate Chip Cookie.
Recently I was inspired to take my love for Chocolate Chip Cookies to another level. A few weeks ago I was watching “Cheap Eats” on the Cooking Channel and the host went to a bakery where they made Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chocolate Chip Buttercream and my mind went flying through the roof. I knew I had to take my chance and adapt this recipe to the best of my ability. After two testing trials, I came up with an awesome recipe for Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Buttercream.
Let me say, this recipe is not one to try to make healthy or considered remotely healthy. Just accept it. As soon as you do, I think you will be happy with the sugar and calories that you are going to consume. If you are okay with the inevitable, then continue reading on in this blog post.
How to make these Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Making these cupcakes are pretty standard and straight forward. The only difference, is they are more like a Brown Sugar Cupcake. I don’t know if you know this, but the key ingredient that makes the Chocolate Chip Cookie and this recipe so special is the brown sugar. Now that is my personal opinion but I say to test that theory, just use white sugar the next time you make Chocolate Chp Cookies and you will see that brown sugar is king in the infamous recipe.
So you’re going to make these cupcakes and add mini chocolate chip cookies and that takes care of that.
Now to make the buttercream frosting is where you are going to run for the hills if you are a health fanatic. You’re going to start off by making edible chocolate chip cookie dough and combine that with the traditional buttercream frosting. I will say this recipe is a touch sweet (for me), but it is still good and absolutely necessary for this recipe. You’ll love it!Print
Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Chocolate Chip Buttercream
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- For cupcakes:
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ c. light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅓ c. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Baking soda
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ c. milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- ½ c. mini chocolate chips
- For buttercream:
- ½ c. light brown sugar, packed
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- ⅛ c. sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp. Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Milk
- ½ c. mini chocolate chips
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- For cupcakes: In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, and brown sugar and mix until creamy and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Be sure to scrape the sides Add the vanilla extract, salt, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and milk. Mix until well combined. Add the mini chocolate chips and fold with spatula. Use an ice cream scoop and scoop the batter into the cupcake tins. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- For edible cookie dough: In a separate bowl, add butter and cream with a standing mixer or handheld mixer. Add the brown sugar and sugar and mix. Add vanilla extract, salt, and flour and mix. Add the milk and mix once more. Fold in the mini chocolate chip cookies with a rubber spatula. Pour in a separate bowl and set aside.
- In the same mixing bowl, add the stick of butter and cream using a blender. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Next, add two cups of the edible chocolate chip cookie dough to the powdered sugar mixture. Add a pinch of salt and use a mixer to combine. Begin to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes or spread evenly.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Leave a Reply