If you love cherry turnovers, you will adore these mini cherry turnovers made with puff pastry. These cherry turnover bombs are crispy, sweet, and filled with creamy cherry cream cheese filling. Whether hosting a brunch or looking for a sweet snack, these turnovers are a must-try.
There are times of the year when I begin to crave cherry recipes, and that is close to the summer and the fall. I love the sweetness and tartness of the cherries in any form, a breakfast or brunch dish or a dessert dish like my Easy Cherry Cobbler. But this cherry danish that uses puff pastry, cherry pie filling, and cream cheese can be eaten for any meal and will still be satisfying.
The Flaky Puff Pastry Shell
The secret to these cherry bombs’ flaky texture is the puff pastry shell. Puff pastry is a versatile pastry dough that consists of multiple layers of butter and dough that, when baked, results in a light, flaky texture. The puff pastry shell provides the perfect crispness that complements the juicy cherry filling.
I typically use Pepperidge Farm Frozen Puff Pastry for most of my recipes where I use puff pastry. However, I recently discovered a brand I had never used before called Wewalka. This puff pastry brand can be found in your refrigerator section and is ready for immediate use. Therefore, I recommend using that brand if you are as anxious as I was to make these turnovers
The Sweet and Tart Cherry Filling
Flaky puff pastry cherry bombs are perfect for any occasion. They are a great addition to a dessert spread for a party or a sweet treat for a cozy night. They are also easy to make and can be customized to your liking. For example, you can swap out the cherry filling for another fruit filling such as blueberry, peach, or apple, or even mix in cream cheese for a creamy texture.
How to make these Puff Pastry Cherry Turnovers
I cut the puff pastry into 12 squares, and I placed the squares into each tin. Then, I added a good spoonful of cherry pie filling into the center of each square. I took the cream cheese filling I made using cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract and placed a spoonful of cream cheese into the mixture. I covered the filling with the excess puff pastry dough that will be handed on the outside of the muffin tins, brushed it with whisked egg, sprinkled it with coarse sugar, and baked it in an oven for about 20 minutes.
Once the cherry turnover bombs were baked and cooled, I made a simple drizzle with powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy whipping cream to give these turnovers more decadence.
Commonly Asked Questions
Yes! You can make the cherry pie filling from this recipe on my blog.
Yep! This recipe can use peach, blueberry, strawberry, or apple pie filling. I don’t know if I would use cream cheese for each of these fruit fillings, to be honest, but I will leave that to you.
You can, but that will change the texture and outcome of this recipe. Instead of a buttery and soft shell, it will be more flaky and crispy, just a pie.
If you like recipes like this Easy Cherry Turnover recipe, you will enjoy the recipes below:
- Apple Pumpkin Turnover Recipe
- Puff Pastry Cronuts (Donuts)
- Maple and Pecan Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
- Bacon and Jalapeno Puff Pastry Bites
Cream Cheese & Cherry Turnover Recipe Bombs
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
Indulge in the flaky goodness of puff pastry filled with cherry filling. Try these irresistible Flaky Puff Pastry Cherry Bombs today.
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet
- 1 lb. Cherry Pie Filling
- 5 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. Milk
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tsp. Water
- Coarse white sugar
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. Heavy Whipping Cream
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees. Spray a cupcake baking tin with baking spray.
- Using a small mixing bowl, add the cream cheese to the bowl. Add the vanilla extract, milk, and powdered sugar to the cream cheese. Using a handheld mixer and mix until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Roll out the dough about an extra ½ inch onto a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin. Use a pizza cutter or a sharp knife and cut the dough into 12 squares. Spray each muffin tin section with baking spray and place the dough squares into each tin.
- Add one tablespoon of cherry pie filling to each square. Add a heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture to each muffin tin on top of the cherry pie filling. Add another tablespoon of cherry pie filling to the cream cheese mixture.
- Take the excess puff pastry hanging along the sides of the muffin tin inserts and fold over the cherry filling. Whisk the egg and water in a small ramekin, brush the puff pastry with egg wash, and sprinkle the top of each turnover with coarse white sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-22 minutes. The puff pastry should be golden brown once finished. Allow cooling before adding the drizzle.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy cream in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth. Drizzle the tops of the cherry turnover bombs with the glaze with a spoon. Allow to set before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: puff pastry cherry pie filling cream cheese, Cherry Cream Cheese Pastry Pockets, Cherry turnover recipe, Cream cheese turnover recipe, Cherry cream cheese turnovers, Cherry bombs recipe
Leave a Reply