You don’t need a smoker to make delicious and tender beef brisket. This Easy Oven Baked Beef Brisket is a great alteration. Coat the beef brisket with “More Seasoning” from Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning for all the flavor you will ever need and more. This recipe is great for feeding crowds around the holidays, game season, or special occasions.
I am used to feeding a lot of people with big appetites at one time. I lived in a household of six people and we always ate big. Especially around the holidays, Sunday dinners, and for special occasions. I was the oldest of four so there was a time when I would have to fix my brother and me something to eat and they would eat two of everything. So, I’ve become accustomed to making big meals. Even for my now much smaller family of four.
I wish I was as confident in the kitchen as I am now. More importantly, I wish I knew how to cook this beef brisket recipe back in the day. Growing up where the women were outnumbered 4-2, this recipe would’ve satisfied a lot of appetites.
This is actually not my first time making beef brisket. This is the first time where I have a completed recipe on the blog, but I have taken a stab at cooking this pricey tough cut of meat before. The first time I made brisket I attempted to cook it in a smoker. Let’s just say, the flavors were there, but it was a bit on the cardboard-dry side. That is because I trimmed all the fat off for some dumb reason (didn’t know what I was doing).
This time when I made the beef brisket in the oven, it was moist, juicy, and packed full of flavor. I didn’t have to have a million and one ingredient either. All I needed was a little of this and little of that and Tony Chachere’s “More Seasoning” salt.
I know when you watch cooking shows and BBQ Master competitions you see a lot of rubs and salts used when cooking and seasoning food. Well using Tony Chachere’s “More Seasoning” salt resolves all of that. It’s all you need! This salt is made with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and a bunch of other awesome seasonings packed in one perfect seasoning. You don’t need anything else.
How do you cook a beef brisket?
Well, I will say that it isn’t as intimidating as it seems if you make it in the oven. What I did was shake Tony’s seasonings on the front and back of the brisket and allow it to sit overnight. I even brushed it with some liquid smoke so it could taste as it came out of the smoker a bit.
Then, as soon as I got up I let it sit at room temperature for a bit and baked it in the oven surrounded by onions, garlic, and beef broth for about 8 hours at 325 degrees. When cooking beef brisket in the oven, it takes about an hour per pound and the internal temperature reaches 185 degrees. Like most cuts of beef, once it is cooked, let it sit uncut and covered with aluminum foil for an hour until the juices can settle back into the meat for maximum flavor.
Tips for making the perfect oven-baked beef brisket
- Take your time: Understand that beef brisket is a heft cut of beef so it is going to take a while to get it cooked through. Especially if you have a pretty thick and heavy cut.
- Use quality seasonings: Tony Chachere’s has a great line of seasoning salts for you to use. You don’t need to add salt and pepper to anything. That seasoning has you covered.
- Let the beef rest: Often when people make steak or pot roast, they get so excited and immediately start cutting it open to taste. A good rule of thumb is to let the meat rest before carving.
- Use a good BBQ Sauce: I have a really good Strawberry Chipotle BBQ Sauce on the blog that would go great with this recipe. But feel free to use your own recipe or another brand you may like.
- Cook it in a crockpot: Yes, you can put beef brisket in a crockpot and allow it to cook for about 8 hours. Use the same method and seasonings and it will come out just as delicious.
Commonly Asked Questions
Yes. If you are asking this question you are probably thinking that you can only grill or smoke beef brisket as I always assumed but that is not the case. This is a great recipe that is super simple that allows you to learn how to make a beef brisket in the oven without compromising the flavor!
In this recipe, I baked my beef brisket for about 8 ½ hours at 325. You want to cook the brisket for about an hour per pound and until it reaches an internal temperature of 185 Degrees F.
I would make a simple dry rub using onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, dry mustard, kosher salt, black pepper, and add some bay leaves. Rub on all sides of the brisket, wrap in plastic wrap, and allow to sit overnight.
Want more recipes using Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning like this Easy Oven Baked Beef Brisket recipe? Check them out below!
- Spicy Crunchy Shrimp
- Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding Cupcakes
- Hot Pepper Jelley Glazed Grilled Chicken Wings