These Homemade Potato Rolls are a wonderful addition to any meal. These potato rolls are soft, buttery, and chewy. All you need are a few simple ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen, such as mashed potatoes, flour, yeast, butter, and milk, to bring these rolls to life.
Are you looking for the perfect side dish to accompany your family meal or holiday dinners such as Thanksgiving or Easter? If so, homemade potato dinner rolls are a delicious, easy-to-prepare option that will tantalize the taste buds. With only a few ingredients and a bit of time, you can create a dish that is sure to become a favorite.
When I think back to some of the most memorable dinners of my childhood, they all consisted of a comforting meal and some of the most amazing homemade dinner rolls. I also learned later in life that the dinner rolls always served were called potato dinner rolls. I went through most of my life not knowing the name of some of the best dinner rolls I’ve ever had.
What is a Potato Dinner Roll?
Potato rolls are, well, to put it simply, dinner rolls made with mashed potatoes. These can be homemade or instant mashed potatoes. The potatoes keep the rolls soft and chewy. The moisture and the creaminess from the potatoes make these rolls amazing. Made with a blend of potatoes, flour, yeast, and spices, these slightly sweet rolls have a tender, fluffy texture and a robust flavor.
The remaining ingredients are basic, requiring only milk, yeast, flour, butter, salt, and sugar. The process is pretty basic and straightforward if you’ve made homemade dinner rolls or bread.
Tips for making this Potato Roll Recipe
Making homemade bread can be intimidating and scary, but considering these tips, you will always make great dinner rolls and bread.
Tip 1: Use fresh yeast ALWAYS. When you combine the water, yeast, and sugar and the mixture doesn’t become foamy, that is a key indicator that you need fresh yeast.
Tip 2: Use the right potatoes: Use starchy potatoes like Russet or Idaho potatoes for the best results. These potatoes help to create a soft and fluffy texture in the rolls. However, you can also use leftover mashed potatoes.
Tip 3: Don’t over-knead the dough: Kneading the dough helps to activate the gluten, which gives the rolls their structure. However, over-kneading can result in tough and dense rolls. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, but be careful not to overdo it.
Tip 4: Let the dough rise properly: Allow it to rise in a warm, draft-free environment until it doubles. This can take 1-2 hours, depending on the temperature and humidity.
Tip 5: Store properly: Store the rolls in an airtight container or plastic bag at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze for longer storage. Reheat the rolls in the oven or microwave before serving.
The recipe is partially adapted from Simply Recipes.
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I make potato rolls without a stand mixer?
Yes, you can make potato rolls by hand. Kneading the dough by hand will take longer, but the results will be as good.
To ensure soft and fluffy potato rolls, use enough liquid in the dough, allow the dough to rise properly, and brush the baked rolls with butter to keep them moist.
Yes, you can make the dough ahead of time and refrigerate it overnight. This will allow the dough to rise slowly, resulting in a more flavorful and tender roll.
If you like this recipe, you will enjoy the bread recipes below:
- 30-Minute Honey Butter Rolls
- Honey Oat Bread with Honey Vanilla Bean Butter
- Buttermilk and Cheddar and Chive Biscuits
- Skillet Buttery Cornbread Recipe
Homemade Potato Dinner Rolls
- Total Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
Make delicious, fluffy Homemade Potato Dinner Rolls in your kitchen with this easy-to-follow recipe! With simple ingredients and little preparation, you can enjoy freshly-baked homemade potato dinner rolls in no time. Try them today!
- 1/2 c. warm water, from the tap
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. + 1/3 c. Sugar
- 1 c. mashed potatoes
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 c. whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. Lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 4 1/2 – 5 c. all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp. Butter melted
- 1 1/2 tbsp. honey
- You can make the mashed potatoes from scratch or a package. Make sure the mashed potatoes are firm and not too soupy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the water, 2 teaspoons of sugar, and a packet of active yeast and stir. Let stand for 5 minutes until the mixture is foamy.
- Turn the speed on low and add 2 ½ cups of flour, mashed potatoes, unsalted butter, whole milk, salt, lemon juice, eggs, and ⅓ cup of sugar to the yeast mixture. Mix the ingredients on low speed until well combined. Gradually beat in the remaining 2 ½ cups of flour until the dough becomes soft dough.
- Turn to a floured surface, and knead until elastic. Sprinkle with additional flour as needed. Spray a large bowl with baking spray and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let rise warmly for 2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Divide the dough into 24 equal balls rolled smoothly. Cover again and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, place the dinner rolls in the oven, and bake until golden brown, for about 25-30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, melt the butter and honey in the microwave. Once the rolls are finished baking, brush with the melted butter honey mixture and serve.
- Prep Time: 2 hours + 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade dinner rolls, potato rolls, amish potato rolls, homemade potato dinner rolls, holiday dinner rolls, Classic potato dinner rolls recipe, Ultimate potato rolls recipe, Easy potato dinner rolls recipe
Leave a Reply