I know what you are thinking, ” What the heck is that?!”
Yea. I said the same thing when I saw the final product of these apples. I mean…LOOK AT THEM! My inspiration you’re wondering? Well the fall has gotten me in a weird creative mood with food these days, so I thought, “Why not?” Why not eat ice cream out of a golden Delicious apple and eat the apple as well? Also, you are still kind of eating healthy. Sure it has butter and sugar but it has more apple in the recipe. Meaning, it must have more nutrients that you body needs anyway? You follow?
Let me tell you, I hadn’t the slightest idea of what I was doing when I came up with this idea. I just knew that I wanted some baked apples and ice cream and with the help of butter and sugar, I was well on my way. Not to mention, Golden Delicious Apples are in season right now and they are the best apples in the world! I honestly feel like Golden Delicious Apples are like candy in the healthy world. They are super sweet and juicy. Going back to the subject at hand, I was thinking about my grandmother and when she use to make fried apples for me as a kid. I guess you can say she kind of inspired the whole thing. Not only that. I thought it would be fun to have something different to hold you ice cream that you can eat too! Anyway, I hope that you like this idea. This recipe is a little bit of old school cooking (my grandmother) and little bit of new school cooking as well. Come back and let me know how they turn out!
- 2 Golden Delicious Apple
- 10 tbsp. butter, divided
- ½ c. brown sugar, more to rub on the outside of the apple
- 1 c. apple, diced
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream (or whatever you want
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- Hollow the apple(s). You can use an apple cord and take a spoon and scoop more of the apple out so it is deep enough to add the ice cream. Or you can take a steak knife and cut a hole inside and use a spoon to scoop out the section of fruit you cut.
- Take the apple and 4 tbsp. of butter and rub it on the inside and outside of the apples. Make sure the apples are dry so the butter can stick to the apple. Then, take some brown sugar and rub it on the outside of the apples as well. Bake the apples for 20 minutes. The apples will become soft. Set aside and let cool.
- Take the other 6 tbsp. of butter and melt over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted add the brown sugar and stir until it has completely dissolved. Add the diced apples and cinnamon. Allow to cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the apples are translucent. Set aside and allow to cool, slightly
- In your baked apples, add your favorite ice cream, pour over the apple mixture, and enjoy!