This Chocolate Hostess Cupcake recipe will satisfy the chocolate lover in you!
With this Chocolate Hostess Cupcake Recipe, you will never have to search the stores for these Hostess Cupcakes again!
I am becoming a child again!
Now, this Copycat Chocolate Hostess Cupcake Recipe.
It’s a lot of chocolate…
It has a delicious creamy filling…
AND OF COURSE
It has that cute little swirl on top!
It was really that simple!
I guess the true challenge for me was not see if I knew how to make these cupcakes, but if I can get them to taste almost close to the true Chocolate Hostess Cupcake. Unfortunately, those cupcakes are an anomaly in my area these days. I still see Twinkies, Ho-Ho’s, Ding Dongs, and Snowballs, which are all made by Hostess Brands. There are hardly any chocolate cupcakes left. That is okay because, with my Copycat Chocolate Hostess Cupcake Recipe, I can satisfy that cupcake craving anytime!
- 1 ¾ c. flour
- ¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp. Baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. milk, room temperature
- ½ c. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 c. boiling water
- 2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 c. heavy cream, warmed
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- ½ c. unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ c. shortening
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees and line 2 cupcake liners with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder and soda, and salt. In a separate medium bowl mix together the sugar, eggs, milk, and vegetable oil and mix together. Add to the dry ingredients. Add the vanilla extract and slowly add the boiling water while mixing slowly. Fill each cupcake tin ⅔rds with cupcake filling. Bake on middle rack for 20-25 minutes. Toothpick can be inserted and come out clean. Once finished baking allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, while the cupcakes are baking, let’s make the chocolate ganache. Add the semi-sweet chocolate chip in a medium mixing bowl. Pour the cream in a small saucepan and bring to s slight bowl. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips and use a rubber spatula to stir until smooth and creamy. Add the butter and stir until the butter has dissolved. Stir in the vanilla extract. Place in the refrigerator to allow the ganache to thicken, about 20 minutes.
- NOTE: The ganache should get thick to the point where you can still dip the chocolate cupcakes with a thick coating.
- Make the filling by combining the butter and shortening with a mixer. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until creamy. Add the salt and vanilla extract. Reserve ¼ cup of the topping for the swirls.
- Use the round end of a wooden spoon to make a hole in the middle of the cupcakes. Spoon the remaining filling into a piping bag or plastic bag. Cut a medium hole at the end of the piping bag and begin to pipe the filling into the cupcakes up to the top. Brush away any cupcake crumbs making for a clean cupcake surface.
- Dip the tops of the cupcakes into the ganache. Turn to a cooling rack and allow to set, about 15 minutes. Dip the tops again and allow to completely set.
- Use a small hole tip in a separate piping bag and spoon the remaining cream filling into the bag. Begin to make 3 loop swirls on top of the SET cupcakes. Keep in cool place or in the refrigerator until ready to serve.